• ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have a serious problem. A little background:

I've loved the outdoors for as long as I can remember. My grandfathers both hunted and fished (as did my grandmothers) but my mom, dad and brother had no interest whatsoever. Until I hit my teens and discovered the allure of the evil woman I tried to spend every waking moment at my grandparents fishing. By the time I was old enough to hunt both of my grandfathers were on in years and unable to partake. I had a subscription to Field & Stream from the age of 8 and would read every single article in every issue and dreamed about hunting but never got to go.

When I joined the Army and was stationed in Texas I hooked up with some guys in my unit who showed me the ropes. I hunted dove, turkey (never got one) and deer (bow & rifle). I got out of the Army in 1996 and moved back home to Indiana. Unfortunately for me no one in my family hunted or owned any land. I tried hunting public land for two seasons before giving up. I had resigned myself to only being able to fish.

Fast forward to this year and a good friend and coworker of mine invited me to go hunting with him. I had told him several years ago that I'd love to go with him, even if only to run a camera and film his hunts. He started out the season with a four day hunt in Kentucky for turkey. Once he got his bird I bought a tag and killed my first gobbler. A couple weeks later we were hunting on his lease here in Indiana and I got my second. I must have passed muster because we've been planning out the deer season for a couple of months now.

Now for the problem: I've spent an obscene amount of money buying a shotgun, bow, camo, boots and all of the little things that go along with hunting. I mean obscene. I've sold every non essential firearm I had. I upgraded my AT&T Uverse package so I can get the Outdoor Channel. I watch every hunting show that comes on now and it's driving my wife nuts. I practicing with my bow just about every day and have been tweaking it since the day I got it. We're around 90 days away from opening day and I can't stop thinking about it. I've already got 23 days of vacation approved for deer season. I'm starting to have trouble sleeping. I think I have a serious problem and I don't think there is a cure.

Sorry for rambling, they say it is therapeutic to share...

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Wait a minute.. fact check..

You're married and you have "Obscene money" sitting around for firearms and gear purchases? I need your wife to talk to mine...

I get the same way when there's a Highpower Rifle match coming up...

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    As long as you are paying your bills, and not causing your family to do without, you can't take that money with you! I tend to save my vacation time as much as possible to use in hunting season, and spend as much time in the woods as I can. If you enjoy it, do it. Life is too short not to.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It's called "buck fever" and you've got it BAD!

Good luck this season. Indiana is filthy with deer.

I do my part. I took 4 last season, and another 3 from the "road-kill" list.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It is just a male obsession. No worries Phylo. It is just something you have desired all of your life and now it has come to fruition. Kiss the wife.....spend some time with her between hunting shows and when the time comes....go.
    Keep us posted on you journey.

Crappiepro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    North East Vigo County
    I get that way waiting on the season's(deer and turkey)too! I like to shoot the turkey guns and the bow alot. It's not a problem it's just a part of "gettin fired up" bug that getcha when you get close to the season's!! Welcome to the club!! LOL!

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

I've loved the outdoors for as long as I can remember. My grandfathers both hunted and fished (as did my grandmothers) but my mom, dad and brother had no interest whatsoever. Until I hit my teens and discovered the allure of the evil woman I tried to spend every waking moment at my grandparents fishing. By the time I was old enough to hunt both of my grandfathers were on in years and unable to partake. I had a subscription to Field & Stream from the age of 8 and would read every single article in every issue and dreamed about hunting but never got to go.

When I joined the Army and was stationed in Texas I hooked up with some guys in my unit who showed me the ropes. I hunted dove, turkey (never got one) and deer (bow & rifle). I got out of the Army in 1996 and moved back home to Indiana. Unfortunately for me no one in my family hunted or owned any land. I tried hunting public land for two seasons before giving up. I had resigned myself to only being able to fish.

Fast forward to this year and a good friend and coworker of mine invited me to go hunting with him. I had told him several years ago that I'd love to go with him, even if only to run a camera and film his hunts. He started out the season with a four day hunt in Kentucky for turkey. Once he got his bird I bought a tag and killed my first gobbler. A couple weeks later we were hunting on his lease here in Indiana and I got my second. I must have passed muster because we've been planning out the deer season for a couple of months now.

Now for the problem: I've spent an obscene amount of money buying a shotgun, bow, camo, boots and all of the little things that go along with hunting. I mean obscene. I've sold every non essential firearm I had. I upgraded my AT&T Uverse package so I can get the Outdoor Channel. I watch every hunting show that comes on now and it's driving my wife nuts. I practicing with my bow just about every day and have been tweaking it since the day I got it. We're around 90 days away from opening day and I can't stop thinking about it. I've already got 23 days of vacation approved for deer season. I'm starting to have trouble sleeping. I think I have a serious problem and I don't think there is a cure.

Relax my friend. If you'd like a little quiet pre-season warm-up, come down to Beanblossom the w/e of the blues festival toward the end of August and I'll introduce you to three or four of the finest squirrel hunters you'll ever meet and one of them plays blues harmonica at the festival. We'll probably hunt just the mornings. Good way to tune up for the venison puncturing. You'll kill more squirrels with a rimfire than the bow. And lose fewer arrows. If you're short on RF equipment, I can fix you up.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

lucky for you there is a cure. To bad the cure cant happen until October 1st.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My wife has her money and I have mine. I pay the mortgage and everything else that requires a monthly payment other than her cell phone. She pays for groceries, gas in the jeep and our entertainment. What's left belongs to he/she who earned it. Works for us and I've never made a late payment in my life.

I've been fired up about hunting before but it's not been this bad. I can't wait to get back into the woods!

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Planning upcoming vacation time at the start of the year is a big deal. I set mine up to where I'll have 22 days off in November. Work 1, off 2, work 4, off 10, work 3, off 11 (counts Dec. 1). So ready for November.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Planning upcoming vacation time at the start of the year is a big deal. I set mine up to where I'll have 22 days off in November. Work 1, off 2, work 4, off 10, work 3, off 11 (counts Dec. 1). So ready for November.

I did this around my racing schedule. Made my employers nuts.

I only hunt Coyote anymore and I enjoy it. Just never enough time these days.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Yep. I felt that way after my first season deer hunting. It hasn't stopped yet. They don't call it whitetail addiction for nuthin'

The outdoor channel is bittersweet. I like to watch but it makes me more anxious after the show ends. I wanna be out there so bad!

Agreed with the squirrel hunts. It's a great little fix before bow season starts. Hopefully next year, bow will start sept 15 instead of oct 1.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    When I was hunting in TX we would shoot squirrels mid day to have something to eat. It took all of the spare change I had to pay for gas to get to our hunting spot. Being a broke soldier with a gas guzzling pickup made it challenging for sure. The guy who owned the property we hunted would bring us fresh baked bread, apples and honey (he had bee hives in MI & TX) as a thanks for keeping the deer population off of his fruit trees. I survived many a weekend on apple & honey sandwiches and squirrel.

Unfortunately I think my wife would cut me off if she found out I went squirrel hunting. "They're just sooooooo cute"

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I was hunting in TX we would shoot squirrels mid day to have something to eat. It took all of the spare change I had to pay for gas to get to our hunting spot. Being a broke soldier with a gas guzzling pickup made it challenging for sure. The guy who owned the property we hunted would bring us fresh baked bread, apples and honey (he had bee hives in MI & TX) as a thanks for keeping the deer population off of his fruit trees. I survived many a weekend on apple & honey sandwiches and squirrel.

Unfortunately I think my wife would cut me off if she found out I went squirrel hunting. "They're just sooooooo cute"

They are cute until they eat threw your cable tv and phone lines.....until they get into the attic and get fried chewing on the romex wiring....until they attack your garden in force and destroy the lawn furniture building nests.
    Oh they are so cute....................:rolleyes:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    They are cute until they eat threw your cable tv and phone lines.....until they get into the attic and get fried chewing on the romex wiring....until they attack your garden in force and destroy the lawn furniture building nests.
    Oh they are so cute....................:rolleyes:

Oh I'm with ya 100%

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It's been done......minus the turkey suit:):

Yeah, I know, he told me about Boone County.

However, this time, we have rhino do it downtown Indianapolis, we dress the cops up as Puritans AND, for added fun, dogs!

It's sort of like that episode of Gilligan's Island where the great white hunter hunts Gilligan, but we only use Sims and film it for our own amusement. It can be part of the Chamber of Commerce promo video too.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rickyjohnson111
    Top Bottom