• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Adding some R-30 unbatted insulation. Question is it ok to cover cold air return with insulation while laying across attic space?

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Didnt think of that, legit question, no, not for blocking air flow. The duct has a foil type insulation and was thinking of running strips approximately 90 degrees over duct for two reasons to get job done easier and keeping the air warmer returning to unit.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm no expert but using common sense, by covering the return air ductwork will tend to keep the air from gaining heat in the summer or losing extra heat in the winter that your unit will only have to over come when it gets back to your system's coils. I'd do it but I'll be interested to see what the experts say.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Was watching This Old House and they mentioned it but I’m not an expert. Whoever insulated my house did a terrible job. Did part of the attic and what an amazing difference.

Thanks CP

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    You’re fine covering the duct. Adding insulation will help with the efficiency of the system in the summer or winter. More insulation will stop the infiltration of unwanted heat or cold depending on the season. Most flex or duct wrap is R3 -R6 five or take some. More insulation will benefit you by adding more R value

I always put r-30 over any flex duct I put in the attic

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Adding insulation into an attic. Is this something I can do myself? Or is this a job I need to hire someone else to do?

If you are up to crawling around and rolling out glass mats or blowing in the cellulose (do they still do this>>>??) then yes.....it is a wonderful way to spend a day and the results can be measured in savings and comfort.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    If you are up to crawling around and rolling out glass mats or blowing in the cellulose (do they still do this>>>??) then yes.....it is a wonderful way to spend a day and the results can be measured in savings and comfort.

I know that I can rent a blower at Lowe’s, and even buy cellulose insulation there. Just never done it before...

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    It is not easy with a hip roof or an easy to walk on roof for old work. Rafter vents make the biggest difference in the summer months. I used a pneumatic stapler, much easier. Then use unfaced batts to insulate. Cellulose costs less but it is difficult to control where and how even it being put down. Do it in the winter, spring or fall to avoid a heat stroke.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I have a couple other tricks if your thinking about doing this. It’s work but the results are going to save quite a bit for heating and cooling plus the house will be much more comfortable if the house is not at R-38 to R-60 in the attic. My house was not done right to begin with so the improvements are dramatic.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Two words. Soffit Baffles.
    This. Easy and effective. You can buy the batt insulation that’s not itchy Blowing it in is great but you will have to redo it in some time and will have to redo it. You can buy fiberglass that doesn’t settle and it has a higher R value. Comes down to preference and time. Anything you do will help. The more you do raising the R value will benefit you as stated previously. Good luck

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    That part of what I got into. The other part was the nsulation was not out to the edges of the wall very evenly along the walls causing problems.

Top Bottom