• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    I'm planning on replacing my York heat pump system in the next 4-6 weeks. I'd like to move to Natural Gas heat. I have two quotes from reputable businesses. One quoted a Trane XR17 air conditioner with a Trane S9X2 gas furnace, the other is a Tempstar TVA936GKA air conditioner and a F96CTN08017 furnace. Are there advantages of one over the other? Which brand is more reliable or has a lower Total Cost of Ownership? Thanks!

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Been a while but I use to install both. Trane was a better product with a higher price but the Tempstar was easier to work on when repairs were needed. Again been about 10 yrs ago but both are solid choices. There are a few people on here who should give you better recent information. Good luck

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Been a while but I use to install both. Trane was a better product with a higher price but the Tempstar was easier to work on when repairs were needed. Again been about 10 yrs ago but both are solid choices. There are a few people on here who should give you better recent information. Good luck
    Its hard to stop a train lol.. i do.see a lot of trains in commercial environments.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    We went with American Standard for new AC and forced air gas heat in 2018....replaced a 25 year old Trane AC and gas heat. The Trane didn't give us a single problem in 25 years until the day it died.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We went with American Standard for new AC and forced air gas heat in 2018....replaced a 25 year old Trane AC and gas heat. The Trane didn't give us a single problem in 25 years until the day it died.

American standard is a re-badged Train meant for residential use.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Any particular certifications or training that I should ask about?

I know a guy that owns and runs his own business doing these kinds of installs--put my heat pump/furnace combo in and it's been all running flawlessly ever since.
    PM me if you want his contact info.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Any particular certifications or training that I should ask about?

Some of the best install people I have known were self/on the job trained. No certs past that ridiculous refr. cert the feds made us pay for and take a ridiculous worthless class so we could buy refrig.

Big box outfits are a roll of the dice too often.

Top Bottom