• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Our AC unit is over 20 years old and it finally croaked. Compressor is shot. When we bought the house last year, we knew we were on borrowed time. I'm going to replace the whole shebang. I'm looking for some recommendations on who to talk to about replacing this thing. I'm in Hamilton County. I'm aware of Williams Comfort Air, Appel and Broad Ripple Heating (now Air Masters or similar). Is there anyone else I should be talking to?

Thanks in Advance

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    Our AC unit is over 20 years old and it finally croaked. Compressor is shot. When we bought the house last year, we knew we were on borrowed time. I'm going to replace the whole shebang. I'm looking for some recommendations on who to talk to about replacing this thing. I'm in Hamilton County. I'm aware of Williams Comfort Air, Appel and Broad Ripple Heating (now Air Masters or similar). Is there anyone else I should be talking to?

Thanks in Advance

You might want to consider experienced HVAC technicians who don't work at major companies unless your looking for someone bonded and insured.... If not you would probably save a ton of money letting an experienced HVAC tech handle it.... I would say buy the unit that you want and start doing some calling or posting but make sure that they show you a copy of their EPA Type II certification before paying them anything.....

BrownDog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008

Thanks in Advance

I had Appel replace my 15 yr old unit 8 months ago. They did a nice clean job and everything is working great. I would recommend them.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    You might want to consider experienced HVAC technicians who don't work at major companies unless your looking for someone bonded and insured.... If not you would probably save a ton of money letting an experienced HVAC tech handle it.... I would say buy the unit that you want and start doing some calling or posting but make sure that they show you a copy of their EPA Type II certification before paying them anything.....

I've thought about going that route, but don't know of anyone who I'd trust. Open to reco's there too, I guess.

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    I've thought about going that route, but don't know of anyone who I'd trust. Open to reco's there too, I guess.

I'm not entirely sure about this, but pretty positive that I heard that one of our Mods, VUPDBlue does H&A work. Either post to him, or better yet, PM him and see what he says. If I were to trust anyone, it'd be him!

Good luck,
    7th Stepper

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County

Call Dan Belcher at Residential Heating & Air (317)435-3797. He is a one-man show, and knows his stuff. He started out with a large co., but started his own business years ago. All my family uses him (several houses/rentals/offices,etc.). He replaced our heat pump two years ago, and it has been great. His prices seem to be great as well. He saved us a bunch of money going with a Payne (I think) which is the same unit as either Carrier or Bryant (I forget) for a fraction of the cost.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I'm not entirely sure about this, but pretty positive that I heard that one of our Mods, VUPDBlue does H&A work. Either post to him, or better yet, PM him and see what he says. If I were to trust anyone, it'd be him!

Good luck,
    7th Stepper

Sorry, I'm not in that end of the business.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My system made it almost 20 years, and by that time was composed largely of bubble gum and baling wire. I've had Appel do some work for me and was always impressed. For the life of me, I can't remember who I had replace the system; I have to dig up the paperwork. It was kind of an emergency at that point & I couldn't get Appel soon enough, or I probably would have used them.

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    I would say buy the unit that you want and start doing some calling or posting but make sure that they show you a copy of their EPA Type II certification before paying them anything.....

I've been in the business for over 20 yrs and I'd tell you " if you buy the equipment , you honor the warranty if there are any problems."

It's great to go as cheap as you can but when you cut the guy out of his profit why would he bother unless he's hard up? If he's hard up after the heat we've had this year I'd steer clear for sure.

Go with a reputible company and you won't regret the INVESTMENT you have made. Best of luck to you.

I live up north and my company only does commercial work so we can't help you. I would reccomend going with one of the better known companies as far as equipment goes because of parts availability. When it's cold and windy you don't want to hear it will take 2 weeks to get that part you need.

Last edited:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

Thanks in Advance

Contact Smith and Sons in Indianapolis and tell them that Tom's neighbor the beerman refereed you.

317-631-5941

Smith and Son Heating and Air Conditioning - Central Indiana - Indianapolis, Brownsburg, Plainfield, Danville, Zionsville, Greenwood

He's a honest down to earth guy and he'll give you a great price and do it right.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    You might want to consider experienced HVAC technicians who don't work at major companies unless your looking for someone bonded and insured.... If not you would probably save a ton of money letting an experienced HVAC tech handle it....

very true

I have been using a unit that was made and installed in 1955
    This thing is a frigging ice box cools 110%, It recently had all kinds of silly issues. A friend of a friend that was a HVAC pro, Licensed, and works on larger contracts, was nice enough to use his purchasing license and get all material needed to fix my unit,
    i saved at least 3,000 or more dollars. I even could of bought a new unit at a super discount vs other contracting Co's.

find ya one of these guys, they are on INGO.

Loar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    We're in Hamilton County and have had great luck with Precision Comfort. They're who our builder used and we have continued with their service. There aren't many of the contractors I would recommend, but they're on that short list.

Top Bottom