• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    I am trading an old climber stand I don't use today for a black powder rifle, I can have my pick of one of three. Meeting him this evening so I need to make my decision, I can have either a T/C .54 Hawkens, A T/C .50 Renegade, or a NEF break open Huntsman. I know very little about blackpowder guns, I had a tc black diamond a while ago and traded it away because I didn't like it. I might use this gun for the late ML season whitetail hunting, thats my hope anyway. So which one should I choose? Here's the pic he emailed me.
    ML.jpg

22lr

Master
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    T/C .54 Hawkens

I had one and let me assure you it was afreakingmazing. Double set trigger was awesome (light as a feather), and it was pretty accurate. Just be advised that good ammo is harder to find compared to the extremely popular .50.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Nov 2, 2008
    I am trading an old climber stand I don't use today for a black powder rifle, I can have my pick of one of three. Meeting him this evening so I need to make my decision, I can have either a T/C .54 Hawkens, A T/C .50 Renegade, or a NEF break open Huntsman. I know very little about blackpowder guns, I had a tc black diamond a while ago and traded it away because I didn't like it. I might use this gun for the late ML season whitetail hunting, thats my hope anyway. So which one should I choose? Here's the pic he emailed me.
    ML.jpg

Not a 54 calibur.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've had a 50 cal TC for more than 30 years, easy to find ammo and I don't think they ever wear out.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Nov 2, 2008
    I've had a 50 cal TC for more than 30 years, easy to find ammo and I don't think they ever wear out.

My own rifles are ALL 45 and I would recomend the 50 for those exact reasons, easy to find fresh ammo. It's the one there is most of, so the amo is always available and the lowest price. All the accessories are available for the 50 first and sometimes never for everything else.

joshennis84

Marksman
    Oct 25, 2009
    Bloomington
    I'd go with the break-open if you are wanting something to actually hunt with. It'll be easier to clean mainly, plus you might get a little more range out of it. Otherwise a tc is worth more.

xHwyLT

Plinker
    Jan 6, 2011
    Monroe
    I know it's probably too late, but I recommend the NEF for the following reasons:
    1.50 Cal, easier to find bullets.
    2.Uses 209 Primer.
    3.Can use preformed pellets.
    4.Can get a barrel chambered for regular (modern) cartridge, through the NEF barrel accessory program.
    5.Easier to clean & prime.
    Otherwise if you want the nostalgic look & feel, take the T/C Hawken. It's a great gun.

Top Bottom