• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I read that for 2023 , you cant use the 45-70 cartridge for deer hunting , I think I read it right , does anybody know if this is right ? I read it in a article by a hunting writer . So I really dont know for sure. I sent a message to JP GAME PRESERVE OFFICE but havent heard back yet.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Slightly off topic, but, for my own curiosity's sake...

What is the rationale for having separate cartridge lists for public and private land?

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Slightly off topic, but, for my own curiosity's sake...

What is the rationale for having separate cartridge lists for public and private land?
    The theory (and it sort of bears out) public land has more homers per smaller area than does private property.

So public land is restricted to slugs or rifles with 1.8” or less case length

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    The theory (and it sort of bears out) public land has more homers per smaller area than does private property.

So public land is restricted to slugs or rifles with 1.8” or less case length
    If that's the theory, then it's stupid. I can use any caliber I want to hunt coyotes on public or private land. I think it has more to do with the popularity and amount of people hunting during deer season.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    If that's the theory, then it's stupid. I can use any caliber I want to hunt coyotes on public or private land. I think it has more to do with the popularity and amount of people hunting during deer season.
    I am not justifying anything simply explaining what the powers that be looked at.

And not that I disagree with you but there is far mor deer hunters (and a lot of them are stupid people doing stupid stuff) in the field during deer season that Coyote hunters. Coyote hunters usually k ow more what they are doing and Range estimation etc.

At least we can use real deer cartridge to a point. It could open up for public we shall see. Some states are restricted to straight wall like Ohio.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis

I'm pretty sure it has a whole lot to do with stupid decisions made by those who either don't give a crap how stupid it is and/or aren't smart enough to recognize how stupid it is to have these rule sets in place. :twocents:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I think they should allow the same for public land in non-glaciated counties. You guys up north porpose'n a round across a flat field ruins it for us who can't see past the next ridge line...

Top Bottom