• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    HR 822 National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill

HR 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill, has been reintroduced with the hope that the new Congress will be more enthusiastic about passing it. The current bill provides that anyone who has a valid firearm carry permit can use that permit in any other state that issues concealed weapons themselves, provided they are not a resident of the ‘other’ state. You would still be under all the same rules and restrictions of the state you were visiting though (magazine limits, pistol free areas, etc). This bill also covers Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and U.S. territories.

Congress is empowered in the constitution to enforce all amendments, including the second, so this is not an overreach of federal power. We’ll keep an eye on this to see what changes the bill may get it moves forward.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    HR 822 National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill

HR 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill, has been reintroduced with the hope that the new Congress will be more enthusiastic about passing it. The current bill provides that anyone who has a valid firearm carry permit can use that permit in any other state that issues concealed weapons themselves, provided they are not a resident of the ‘other’ state. You would still be under all the same rules and restrictions of the state you were visiting though (magazine limits, pistol free areas, etc). This bill also covers Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and U.S. territories.

Congress is empowered in the constitution to enforce all amendments, including the second, so this is not an overreach of federal power. We’ll keep an eye on this to see what changes the bill may get it moves forward.

I pretty much have reciprocity for anywhere I care to go. I try to avoid blue states, anyway.

Colorado CCW Concealed Carry Hand Gun Legal Info

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    It would definately be nice. They will have to standardize the requirements for the permit. That means Indiana will probably have to add a safety class requirement to the permit app. Which is probably a good thing anyway.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Like any legislation, this one cuts both ways.

Having your "permit" honored in all 50 states plus the territories would be pretty nice....

UNLESS you live in a state that does not offer permits. Either because they deny the 2nd (Illinois, for instance) or because they fully honor the 2nd (Arizona, for instance). No home state permit = no carry outside of your state. This bill could very well FORCE states to adopt a permitting process.

Rather than reciprocity, I'd like to see the 2nd simply honored.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    This bill tramples states rights. I think it sounds good in theory but in practice I don't want the federal government in any more control than it already is. Keep the federal government out and let this be a state decision.

@Kjellshock-a safety class requirement is just more government bureaucracy bull****. It probably won't even teach safety and I already have to get permission from the government to exercise my second amendment. I don't want any more restrictions on it than there already are. Why don't we just teach gun safety in schools as a required class. O we can't do that because guns are bad.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Like any legislation, this one cuts both ways.

Having your "permit" honored in all 50 states plus the territories would be pretty nice....

UNLESS you live in a state that does not offer permits. Either because they deny the 2nd (Illinois, for instance) or because they fully honor the 2nd (Arizona, for instance). No home state permit = no carry outside of your state. This bill could very well FORCE states to adopt a permitting process.

Rather than reciprocity, I'd like to see the 2nd simply honored.

Arizona already has a permitting process in place, as do all the other states that allow unlicensed CC. It was put in place before constitutional carry was enacted and is left in place to allow that state's citizens to travel to other states.

I am very wary of laws like this. I don't want "standardized" permitting, and once the Feds say you can do something, they can also dictate the terms. Soon we will need standardized "no-no" places... on and on it goes. Let the states sort it out.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    @Lucas156:
    "a safety class requirement is just more government bureaucracy bull****. It probably won't even teach safety and I already have to get permission from the government to exercise my second amendment. I don't want any more restrictions on it than there already are. Why don't we just teach gun safety in schools as a required class. O we can't do that because guns are bad."

I recently took the NRA basic pistol course in order to get a carry license in another state. Having spent considerable time on the range, the class did not offer much new insight. However, there were a few newbies that learned several things about gun use and safety from that class. I don't think it is unreasonable to have someone demonstrate that they can shoot it relatively safely and accurately in order to be able to carry it. (the NRA course in not that demanding) LEOs have to qualify with every gun they carry do they not? Why shouldn't everyone? <--not rhetorical. please, weigh in....

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I recently took the NRA basic pistol course in order to get a carry license in another state. Having spent considerable time on the range, the class did not offer much new insight. However, there were a few newbies that learned several things about gun use and safety from that class. I don't think it is unreasonable to have someone demonstrate that they can shoot it relatively safely and accurately in order to be able to carry it. (the NRA course in not that demanding) LEOs have to qualify with every gun they carry do they not? Why shouldn't everyone? <--not rhetorical. please, weigh in....

Not saying that firearms training is a bad thing at all. In fact I think it is a great thiing! What is bad is having it mandated by the government. There are all kinds of thugs carrying weapons that don't know their ass from their elbow when it comes to carrying or shooting firearms but no law is going to get them training. Also, no training class is going to fix stupid or make someone act responsible if the person doesn't want to or care to take the necessary precautions.

As for LEO being required to qualify they work for the government and they agreed to that standard by doing so and applying for the job. I don't think its right for me to have to jump through hoops to exercise my rights. That means they are no longer rights. But what do I know Im just a lowly citizen.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I ABSOLUTELY support firearms safety training, but NOT (ABSOLUTELY NOT) as a requirement to exercise our rights.

I do NOT need training and certification for:
    - The right to worship
    - The right to speak my mind
    - The right to vote
    - The right to breath, eat, poop, etc....
    Therefor, I do NOT need training and certification to exercise the right to keep and bear arms. Why, for ALL other restrictions we place on our governments, that only the 2nd gets additional scrutiny? If we required a 4-hour training course before we were issued a permit to attend a church/synagogue/mosque/temple/etc.... there would be RIOTS.

Rights that come only with stipulations are privileges.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Well said Gentlemen. While I do agree that a right is a right is a right, I can't help but feel safer if the avg law abiding citizen has done their homework. Perhaps mandatory classes are not the answer, perhaps they are. As for Thugs, I would prefer they can't shoot straight and wouldn't mind if they accidently shot themselves so that takes care of itself. :)

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state , the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

This is where pro-gun control people try and argue that its not the 1700s, they say we dont need a militia because we have a military. However if you can see the bold comma, indicating two separate statements in the sentence. "The right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." That means, I dont need to take a class, I dont need to pay for licensing, and I shouldnt have to prove that I can "shoot safely and accurately". I would rather see someone who knows nothing about guns standing with smoking gun over a rapist or murderer than see that person dead because they didnt take an unconstitutional court mandated class to show them how to load, unload, and basic common sense gun safety.

Plus, I am a firm believer in natural selection. I dont understand why everyone is trying to package everything to make life "safer". If thats how the world was 2000 years ago do you realize how many more idiots would still be alive. If you (rhetorical, not you) are dumb enough to use your gun as ear plugs or u whip it out every 5 seconds and point it at people, youre either going to shoot yourself and get shot. :dunno:

Carrying a gun is a HUGE responsibility. You hold the power to end someones LIFE, if thats not enough of a reason to research, practice, and develop awareness on your own....

RedneckHearingProtection.jpg

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Spoken like truly responsible adults. Oh that everyone were so responsible. In context of the Constitution, it is likely that everyone who bore arms in that time period knew how to use them. Do you think it is entirely possible that the founding fathers might have put in a request that people know what they are doing when the armed themselves--if they had foreseen the ignorance of our generation. I wonder.
    I am not trying to take away anyone's right to bear arms. I just think I might feel safer knowing that everyone carrying a gun around town has at least enough knowledge of their weapon to not be dangerous.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Do you think it is entirely possible that the founding fathers might have put in a request that people know what they are doing when the armed themselves--if they had foreseen the ignorance of our generation. I wonder.

I carry to protect myself from idiots with weapons, doesnt matter if they have a gun or a pencil. And for that matter... is there a mandatory cooking class before you can use knives for food? Why dont we educate people on kicking one another, surely you know that more people die every year from being kicked to death than shot to death... The facts are that criminals break the law, and the way they acquire weapons is by... thats right, BREAKING THE LAW. I understand that youre trying to imply that a class or some sort of education would be good, but how many people pick up a gun and dont ask for any help? Everyone I know was either raised with guns, or took the time to learn on their own before buying one (this forum and many others like it are a good example).

Oh, and if were going to base gun ownership on the competency of the american public... HA, good one. Generally speaking, groups have a higher tendency to be overconfident at times while the individualistic may find it easier to spot the faults of society. This is because he/she sees from the outside of the majority and is free from the possible biases of going with the flow/jumping into the bandwagon (insert obama or peyton manning). Simply put, people are ****ing stupid and to judge one individual based on a group... its just silly. Do I think everyone should take a class or something, yes, do I think everyone SHOULD HAVE TO take a class or something... absolutely not.

Im not trying to be rude, please understand my tone of voice is merely conversational not confrontational. jus sayin' :dunno:

Good comments sir, keep them coming!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom