How should a Christian view gun control?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    This seems appropriate since it can be used as a "Battle Prayer".

God grant me the serenity
    To accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

There is no sin in protecting yourself and others whether it be at home or in some foreign land.
    The sin lies in your state of mind at the time.

Know the difference.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The lesson seems to be not whether or not it is appropriate to defend one's person, property or innocent persons. The lesson is that when going about armed, one should always be aware of the power one possesses and learn to be slower to anger, put one's ego in the back pocket and walk away from confrontations when possible.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I admit to coming late but here is my view.

As a Christian who does go about openly armed I have yet to feel God disapproves. I have spent hours in meditative prayer asking him about this sort of thing and have yet to dear that still small voice tell me He doesn't like it. In fact I usually feel like it is what He wants for me at least. His Plan though asks for each of us to do what He asks of you and sometimes it may require a group and sometimes just you so I often hear others who don't feel it my wy. I also know how ":n00b: NUTCASE RADICAL :):" that makes it sound. :dunno:

However, odd it sounds, I remain rather typical to the group. As said, feel no impediment to my carring and shooting but it isn't like I want to go out and do anything illegal. I am asked, as a Christian to follow the laws as my current government is there because God allowed them to for His purposes. I also don't see anywhere that I must support the Law;s to be nor does it stop me from personally voicing my opinion.

In any case, YMMV and I will look in now and then to see if anyone replied/rebutted this to see if I need to do same. :popcorn:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I think we'd get some different answers on here if we asked:
    How should a Christian view
    - gun control? (from the state apparatus)
    - gun ownership? (on an individual level, legal)
    - self-defense?

And for my more agnostic or atheist friends, how should a just/moral person view the same topics? (I know many individuals who I consider to be moral persons even with the absence of organized religion in their life. I think morality can exist outside of a religious framework, not sure if others agree)

jasonh31

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    North Manchester
    Paul himself who wrote this would go on to break those rules. Should I submit if Christianity is illegal? These were written in A.D. 57 when there was relative peace toward Christians in Rome. Within a few years however, Nero had gone insane and would that have changed the letters tone.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Paul himself who wrote this would go on to break those rules. Should I submit if Christianity is illegal? These were written in A.D. 57 when there was relative peace toward Christians in Rome. Within a few years however, Nero had gone insane and would that have changed the letters tone.

No it would not have. We are to obey God rather than men. but men, ever looking for loopholes, want to put more and more things in a category that allows them, so they think, to break the law.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I don't see any relationship whatsoever between being a Christian and owning or carrying a gun. Far as I know the only difference is Christianity doesn't require a license or background check................yet!

matthewmaze

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Parke CO
    well the bible does say if you don"t have a sword sell your cloak and buy one.plus one of the disciples cut off a roman soldiers ear,so they were armed

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Pacifist ≠ Christian
    They are not the same. Christians go to war, we defended our families....
    This does not tell the whole story. I know Christians who got out of serving in the armed forces during time of war, claiming to be conscientious objectors. I know others who served, but have still have troubled consciences because they killed and still feel guilty about violating the 6th commandment.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    This does not tell the whole story. I know Christians who got out of serving in the armed forces during time of war, claiming to be conscientious objectors. I know others who served, but have still have troubled consciences because they killed and still feel guilty about violating the 6th commandment.

P****** will use any excuse to keep out of the fight and I know plenty of atheist that still feel guilty for all their killing.

Pacifists unfortunately are living among us in every branch of humans. :(

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    P****** will use any excuse to keep out of the fight and I know plenty of atheist that still feel guilty for all their killing.

Pacifists unfortunately are living among us in every branch of humans. :(
    The military has been good at training people how to kill, but (at least in the past) hasn't done so well as preparing them to deal with it.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Sixth Commandment is "Thou shalt not MURDER." A soldier isn't murdering in a just war.
    We all are called for God's purposes differently.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The Bible declares that human life, made in God's image, is sacred. It is thus immoral to take innocent human life. Self-defense is simply one part of recognizing (and protecting) the sanctity of human life. But that's a matter of self-defense, not of gun control.

As for gun control: yes, we as Christians are to submit to proper authority. That said, gun control is inherently unconstitutional, and therefore inherently illegitimate. Thus, there is nothing inherently immoral with refusal to submit to illegitimate authority. As Christians, we are free to follow our conscience on this matter.

For me, following laws with respect to gun control is a risk assessment, not a moral assessment.

Top Bottom