How many public school teachers have stepped up and asked the question?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    A comment made in another thread got me thinking (always a dangerous endeavor).

For those of you who are educators in schools, how many of you have asked your principal/administrator for permission to carry? Expanding this, how many of your friends or family that are employed by the government schools have made the request?

How many are considering carrying with or without that permission? (Don't answer that one. It's rhetorical, for crying out loud.)

For our resident principal, if you had the authority (because I realize you may not), considering everything that you would have to consider, would you allow it if someone made the request?

Ahgo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    New Haven, Indiana
    I'm a public school teacher, but I have never asked and have never carried at school because it is against the law. At this point, I value my job too much to do anything like that. Even in light of everything that has happened (and also having a license to carry), I don't think that I would want every one of my peers to carry. Just my thoughts.

Brown

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    My wife is intending to speak with the Superintendent by the end of this week if he accepts a appointment. She works in the cafeteria and has been carrying (off property of course:)) for the last few years. She would carry a P238.

should be interesting to hear how the meeting goes!

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    My wife is intending to speak with the Superintendent by the end of this week if he accepts a appointment. She works in the cafeteria and has been carrying (off property of course:)) for the last few years. She would carry a P238.

should be interesting to hear how the meeting goes!

I can tell you how that is going to go. Hopefully she isn't fired on the spot for asking the boss to break the law.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Strangely, a not too liberal reading of the school property carry regulations in Indiana "already allow it."

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has beenemployed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

These days, all teachers and administration are to act as security, they perform and participate in school functions, and participate in any/all other authorized school activities.

I'm positive it's against the spirit of the law - but doesn't seem to violate the letter.

Good luck winning in court, though. *sigh*

-J-

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Strangely, a not too liberal reading of the school property carry regulations in Indiana "already allow it."

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has beenemployed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

These days, all teachers and administration are to act as security, they perform and participate in school functions, and participate in any/all other authorized school activities.

I'm positive it's against the spirit of the law - but doesn't seem to violate the letter.

Good luck winning in court, though. *sigh*

-J-

Still the laws says they have to be authorized for that to apply.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Oh ok.I guess parents can be authorized too then if they dont have to be employed AND authorized? :dunno:

Yes...imagine a volunteer corps of armed and trained protective parents at the gates...how long do you think the next sick little bastage would last? Not 10 minutes, that's for certain.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I guess you could even say that parents dont need to be authorized at all as bringing your kids to school or any other parental activity would fall under "participate in any other activity authorized by a school."

Top Bottom