• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    Lately I have really been wanting to make some of my own knives. I already own most, if not all, of the tools it would need to get started. I am just wondering, how many here make their own? Of course pictures would be welcome, if you are willing to show off your work.

Last edited:

Uralguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Kokomo
    Home made knives

I had a blacksmith shop set up in my garage and used to make my own knives. Where are you located. I could introduce you to some people or I can walk you through the process myself. I have not mastered the picture posting skill yet. What type of knife are you wanting to build? What type of materials do you have access to and how deep are your pockets? You can scrounge up all the materials for next to nothing. I used to like to use old files. They are normally W1 or W2. Water hardening tool steel. Pretty easy to heat treat. Cheap and holds a good edge. Problem is it's gonna rust. There are a lot of great metals out there and then you get to decide on the handle material and the sheath. Drop me a line and I can let you pick my brain. I may have some stuff you need more than I do.

robert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    I started making my own and really enjoy it. You can do some really cool things. Actually started selling some to help pay for the hobby. Sold about 15 this past year

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    Robert,

I had not given any thought to selling them. I guess I am not expecting too much out them at first and don't figure anyone would pay for them. If I have some success (or should I say luck?) and some of the early ones turn out OK, I would likely make them gifts.

Where are you finding places to sell them?

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    I've dabbled in blacksmithing as well and attended a few knife making conferences. The most helpful tool if you get into some serious knife making would be a 2x72" belt grinder such as :

KMG Industrial Belt Grinders, Beaumont Metal Works

If you just want to make a couple of knives then you can accomplish the same thing with files, stones, belt-sanders, etc. Just slower.

If you ever make it to central Illinois I can put you in touch with a full-time knife maker who I'm sure would love to show you first hand.

Ron

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    I have read a little bit about the KMG unit. Looks like a very nice machine. I think it is a bit out of my league at this point though. I think I'll have to stick with the meager tools I do have for now.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Hey cubby , I'm looking at the pics in Tyler's link and have been stuck on one . The second set from the top , 3rd from the right .

I would like to talk about the finishes and sheaths . Please PM .

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    thanks brett! i'll talk to you sometime this week! hopefully :)

richard, pm sent! i think you are looking at on of the g10 knives, but want to be sure. those are made to.... poke holes in things.... and be carried when a steel knife might be a no go.

Top Bottom