How long before things go south if the SHTF?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Remember when covid was hitting and the stores ran out of toilet paper in a few days? Or when a snow storm threatens and the stores‘ shelves are emptied in hours? I remember when 9/11 happened and people were in lines at gas stations that afternoon, filling gas cans.

It would be hours not days.

Exactly, Covid was a recent example too showing us that this country isn't prepared for massive supply chain interruptions.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    This. Inside of 24 hours everyone's life would be insanely different. Even if you hunker down and "bug in". You will be tormented by the sounds of screams and gun fire.
    Get out of cities... very doubtful I'll hear any screams or unrecognizable gunfire where I am.

SHTF will be determined by how quickly supply chains break down and city utilities go offline.

Once there is a major interruption of water, sewer, power, grocery, and fuel station deliveries, you'll quickly see societal breakdown. Aside from most living paycheck to paycheck, the majority of folks only have a few days of food on hand (and less water than that).

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    lol, When I was learning to hombrew beer, I was told that if the economy was to ever collapse. I would have something to trade. With the way the world has gone since then. I feel like I would need to have a 20-year supply of ammo and a vast knowledge of booby-traps. Just saying.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    lol, When I was learning to hombrew beer, I was told that if the economy was to ever collapse. I would have something to trade. With the way the world has gone since then. I feel like I would need to have a 20-year supply of ammo and a vast knowledge of booby-traps. Just saying.
    And pikes. Lots of pikes. Gotta put the heads of your assailants out front to deter future attempts.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I’m not worried about the masses from the cities and towns. We are very isolated and the place and surrounding section of the county are reasonably defendable against Mad Max style steampunks. We are and always have been prepared for 6 months of complete isolation and a couple of years of self sufficiency.

Red Dawn types of invasion, well, somethings you can only turn guerrilla and survive as long as you can, but I guarantee we’ll take out more of them before they get us.

I look at 2-3 days for the major urban crapholes and a week or two for the towns and rural areas.

I don’t fear any of that though. My fear is that extremists will take over the government and over months or years put down anyone who doesn’t believe what they believe and manufacture crimes to justify sending to the gulags those they want to suppress. Or simply label the opposition as vermin and encourage the zealots to do their cleansing. Those have been the most realistic scenario that has played out this last century. Numerous times.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The larger the population density, the shorter the fuse. How many people have no idea what it means to "prep" for the unknown? No power, no cell phone, no A/C, no water coming out of the faucet? It will only take a couple of days before things will get ugly. And if you live in an apartment in a larger city, it won't take long before you turn on your neighbor. Odds are good that you have less than 3-4 days of food or water on hand and hungry people do crazy things, particularly if there are children involved.
    People turn feral here when the reloading supplies get tight because of whatever panic has happened lately. You can see the vitriol from the unprepared towards those who bought extra when it was plentiful and won’t sell it to them at the prepanic prices. That’s a tiny, tiny microcosm of what will happen when power, water, and food are out. For a while at first most people will be decent. But that will degrade over time.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    I don’t fear any of that though. My fear is that extremists will take over the government and over months or years put down anyone who doesn’t believe what they believe and manufacture crimes to justify sending to the gulags those they want to suppress. Or simply label the opposition as vermin and encourage the zealots to do their cleansing. Those have been the most realistic scenario that has played out this last century. Numerous times.
    Wasn't that a TV show. Where all the electricity went away even thunder storms. Can't remember the name of it.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    As I read through this thread I’m wondering/realizing most folks posting have never been poor. Or learned from their elders the lessons of the Great Depression. As I’ve said many times in this forum, what a lot of folks think of as being prepared we call that Tuesday.

Hope they have artillery.

View attachment 315937
    Thanks for the reminder. :thumbsup:

880o29.jpg

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    As I read through this thread I’m wondering/realizing most folks posting have never been poor. Or learned from their elders the lessons of the Great Depression. As I’ve said many times in this forum, what a lot of folks think of as being prepared we call that Tuesday.

Hope they have artillery.

View attachment 315937
    What he said. I am old enough to have talked to grandparents and great grandparents that lived through the Great Depression. I remember a lot but wish they were still here to pass on more of how they did it. They, and others like them would/will do fine. Those that have no concept of self sufficiency. I hope to be like them and make it to a few more WEDNESDAYs.

Reactions: Mij

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am convinced that we have seen testing by the government several times.

They always claim it was a technical glitch but a couple times a year, in a select location, the welfare shuts down for 24 hours. Usually in heavily populated urban areas with high density of welfare recipients. By the next morning, there are mobs destroying stores and stealing anything they can carry. They are not shutting off power, heat or transportation, just a 24 hour delay on the welfare cards.

Imagine what would happen if the news announced that welfare stopped nationwide, and then the electricity and cell towers shut down.

Reactions: Mij

Lpherr

Occupied
    People keep asking the same question, from a different angle.
    If there's an apocalyptic event, who the hell wants to attempt to survive?
    It would require complete isolation and the ability to constantly defend it.
    If a large enough group wants what you have, you aren't going to stop them.

Top Bottom