• Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Print is best.
    I agree print is best and I have neglected it. My neighbor growing up taught A-10 pilots E&E and invited me to help. I didn’t know the gift he was teaching me, but it has paid in spades with hunting and bushcraft. I still have the USAF survival manual and Camillus survival knife he gave me. I can do a lot of things, but meds are my weakness. Thanks for pointing out the flaws in my plans. I’m a minor league prepper but growing up and serving in the 80’s has never left me. Good advice!

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I have several years worth of Backwoods Home and Self-Reliance magazines, plus "Where There Is No Doctor," "Where there Is No Dentist,", Physician's Desk Reference, Encyclopedia of Country Living, SAS Survival Manual, plus assorted other titles.

BigNyaKelly

Coffee Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2023
    Worcester
    Books are by far the best way to stave off boredom, and don't require a battery or internet connection - personally I have about a hundred to be read science fiction and fantasy novels (Vance, Nylund, etc) in my closets. Sadly life is so busy and I can only finish about a book every week or two, and I buy them much faster than that! :)

BigNyaKelly

Coffee Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2023
    Worcester
    Oh I fully misinterpreted the point of this haha. Okay I own a few books on gunsmithing, a couple on outdoorsman stuff, and about a million cook books, but I'm definitely lacking in many regards when it comes to "useful" books.

KomboJoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2013
    Paragon
    85 books and counting. Only like 10 are entertainment. There are several for teaching. Highly suggest Where There Is No Dentist and Where There Is No Doctor

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Do you have a way to get it power if you lose power?
    Yes a large portion of our place is Solar. Heck even our 30 mile fence controllers are solar. we have 4 25 watt panels and a marine battery. I was curious a few weeks ago and hooked an inverter to the solar controller it worked quite well.

Reactions: Mij

KomboJoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2013
    Paragon
    Yes a large portion of our place is Solar. Heck even our 30 mile fence controllers are solar. we have 4 25 watt panels and a marine battery. I was curious a few weeks ago and hooked an inverter to the solar controller it worked quite well.
    100 watt is lower then I would want for power though. I'm getting ready to do my solar power setup at home and it should be like 10 300 watt panels.

Reactions: Mij

PSOD

Probably on the toilet
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    Owen/Clay county
    I agree print is best but for those with limited storage, digital may be a better option.

My current setup is my retired (college) 2013 MacBook Pro, 9TB external hard drive full of manuals and instructional media, charger, 750w inverter, solar charge controller, and disassembled lead acid battery. Stored in a steel copper mesh lined trash can with cardboard insulation. I call it my faraday library. The down side is it took me 2 hours a night for nearly 2 months to download and organize everything.

KomboJoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2013
    Paragon
    I forgot to mention in my earlier post but something I did was go and print out a bunch of instructions on how to make lye and my own laundry detergent.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I forgot to mention in my earlier post but something I did was go and print out a bunch of instructions on how to make lye and my own laundry detergent.
    99 cents a can, red devil lye. Every trapper uses it every year for cleaning traps. 3 bucks will make enough soap for two, three years.

It’s Wednesday……..:lmfao:

Top Bottom