How have your employers reacted to the new "Parking Lot" Bill?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    I think it's a smart way to stop criminals -- damn, they said I can't go to my car... Oh well, I'll shoot up the place tomorrow!

Please note the previous statement was sarcastic.....

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    My employers remark was, "I can't wait to get my holster so I can carry my gun at work".

Even though I do work for a public utility, it looks like I don't have to worry about my employers feelings concerning the matter. :)

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    heres what i see happening. A legal way for employers to get around the law and get their way.

They could issue a new policy that says NO employee "without permission" can go to their vehicle while on the clock. if they do then they may receive diciplinary action up to and including termination.

Think its possible?

That could work guess Id finally get paid for lunch! :rockwoot:

Oh and all is quiet in my beverage land.......then again we are all pro 2A people!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    heres what i see happening. A legal way for employers to get around the law and get their way.

They could issue a new policy that says NO employee "without permission" can go to their vehicle while on the clock. if they do then they may receive diciplinary action up to and including termination.

Think its possible?

I'm not sure if this is any different than what our company currently has for much of our manufacturing facilities.

Also, I'm not sure what such a policy would really accomplish if there wasn't already one in place?

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I work for an exempt employer. An exempt employer who has prohibited firearms on their property is not going to go to the trouble of getting a search warrant. HR is going to call you into their office and say, "We have a report that you have a firearm in your vehicle. We want to search your vehicle. If you will not allow us to search your vehicle, your employment is terminated." That's all it takes. Your vehicle won't be searched if you deny them permission, but you won't be employed there any longer either.

immortallyinsane

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Columbus
    I work for the same company as the OP (or by chance multiple companies used the same email). After getting the email I was a little shocked by the response but after really thinking about it they might just be seeing what the options are. This company is fairly large, in multiple states and countries so I think they are just trying to see where it fits in the global policies of the company and maybe re-write them if needed. I am curious to see the outcome.

On a second note, a day after this communication the city took away the public parking that was right next to the building. Coincidence? Probably so. :dunno:

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    balancing many factors regarding employee safety and satisfaction.

I can see your desire for a no-bashing thread, but does that mean we have to sugar-coat reality, to the point of fantasy?

Do you really believe that your employer's major motivation in these policies, or their reaction to the new law, is to promote your safety and satisfaction?

Personally, I believe they are trying to protect themselves from lawsuits, and employee safety is at or near the bottom of their list of priorities.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI

Think its possible?
    No. They can however say you can't move your vehicle while on company time AKA during a paid break for liability reasons. But they can't stop you from going to or getting in your vehicle. It is too hard to enforce on a mass level. What if you need money, something you forgot for work or your meds?

On unpaid time, like lunch, you can do what you want.

As far as weapons on the property, my company has stated this policy is in force "for now"

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I think right now if you get any kind of info from your company stating that no firearm's are allowed is just them making a statement until the law goes in effect on July 1st.

Remember after this date if they still have this policy in effect "THEY" will be in violation, and to make matters worse have it as policy will set themselves up for being non compliant and risk lawsuits because of it.

Other words, until July 1st 2010 they can say/do anything they want. It's what they do/say after it's law that matters.

People are just going to have to wait as see how the other shoe falls right now.

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    i work for a company that seems to employ alot of hunters...so far they have'nt said anything,,,,,maybe its a good sign.....although i have to enter USS on occasion...not sure what they will say...or do

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    I think right now if you get any kind of info from your company stating that no firearm's are allowed is just them making a statement until the law goes in effect on July 1st.

Remember after this date if they still have this policy in effect "THEY" will be in violation, and to make matters worse have it as policy will set themselves up for being non compliant and risk lawsuits because of it.

Other words, until July 1st 2010 they can say/do anything they want. It's what they do/say after it's law that matters.

People are just going to have to wait as see how the other shoe falls right now.
    hey!!,,how any ppl do ya think picked Butler to be in the finals?...geez..i guess thats why they play the game..

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    I believe that I know who you work for as I got an e-mail that is pretty much word for word of what you posted. I am going to have to ask the union rep if anything is being talked about this on the union side. Come July 1st I believe that I will have at least one in my vehicle.

Dss21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    OP, if you dont mind me asking what was your written response to the companys original memo?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    OP, if you dont mind me asking what was your written response to the companys original memo?

I don't happen to have it here with me on my home computer.

But in short, it mentioned that I felt that there would likely be a lot of emotion on each side of the discussion, but at the end of the day, State Law is State Law...and going against it could set a dangerous precedent that mother company knows better than our elected government.

I also mentioned that we are a company that values diversity, and diversity also includes folks like me who cherish their Constitutional Rights, included the RKBA.

Last edited:

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I work for an exempt employer. An exempt employer who has prohibited firearms on their property is not going to go to the trouble of getting a search warrant. HR is going to call you into their office and say, "We have a report that you have a firearm in your vehicle. We want to search your vehicle. If you will not allow us to search your vehicle, your employment is terminated." That's all it takes. Your vehicle won't be searched if you deny them permission, but you won't be employed there any longer either.

That is is EXACTLY all it takes, this new law is meaningless

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    evolevo
    Top Bottom