How fastidious are you as it relates to reloading your straight-walled pistol brass?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which practices do you follow?

• I don't load straight-walled pistol cartridges

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • I load only brass that I know the history of

Votes: 2 4.9%
    • I log and count the number of times each case is shot and discard them when they hit a certain count

Votes: 1 2.4%
    • I carefully measure all of the brass I reload and trim or discard anything that is out of spec

Votes: 5 12.2%
    • I stick to certain brands or head stamps of brass

Votes: 4 9.8%
    • Let's face it, I'm a brass omnivore - if I finds it, I reloads it (as long as it isn't damaged)

Votes: 35 85.4%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    I sort my range brass by caliber and head stamp. Then deprime each lot.

I ultrasonic wash small lots with a few drops of Dawn Platinum and half a teaspoon of Lemon Shine. Occasionally I may cut the water with white vinegar, but so far I can’t really tell if the vinegar helps. Then rinse.

Brass comes out clean and shiny. Some pieces may still have some minor discoloration. I don’t care about looks. What matters to me is that the cases are clean.

I dry in the oven at a lower heat. Then size in a carbide die, no lube.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Deprime on the APP, wet tumble, rinse, dry, load.

If it goes together straight and doesn't fall apart, it's g2g. 9mm comes and goes too fast to do much more than that.

cavallo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2023
    Brownsburg
    Tumble, size, trim and prime. If the primer pocket is loose, I discard the case.
    Interesting you say that. I've had the same thought but only know that the primer pocket is loose when I seat a primer and it goes in too easily, but at that point, the primer is already seated, so what do you do then? For me, I use a sharpie and mark the "butt" with a big "X" and box them together. When I pick them up again, I discard those with X's on the butts.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Deprime on the APP, wet tumble, rinse, dry, load.

If it goes together straight and doesn't fall apart, it's g2g. 9mm comes and goes too fast to do much more than that.
    Have you processed any 223 and or 9mm mil brass with the APP yet?
    One of my brothers is looking at one just to process brass with. The videos make it look worthwhile to him.

Donovan48

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2022
    Tippecanoe County
    I dry tumble with corn cob media and a little brass polish, then resize & deprime. I prime separately then finish up on my Hornady progressive press. I am surprised that most responders wet tumble. Why? Wet tumbling seems like more steps. Dry tumbling has always worked fine for me. I don't see how it could come out much cleaner.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Most brass looks like new on the outside, wet tumbled without pins. Once in a great while, if you are looking close, you might find a light bit of tarnish left on a case likely left on the ground a long time.

The inside of the brass is where the extremely particular might complain about not always coming shiny clean, without using pins. Me, I cover that up with powder and a new boolit.

:)
    I bought a wet tumbler. Littlrat suggested I tumble without pins. First batch was with pins...PITA. Second batch, and every batch since, has been without pins. Sometimes my brass, sometimes range pickup brass for resale or trade or just goodwill for fellow shooters, but always now without pins.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    That was me for the longest time. I finally switched over to de-priming and then wet tumbling. It takes a few more steps but the cases come out ready to win a beauty contest. (because style points matter, of course) I also don't have to deal with the occasional residual bit of corncob in the flash hole that I used to find.
    Um, if you forget to unplug your tumbler after a week in the man cave, .223 will look gold plated. I heard that on the internet.......maybe.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    I wet tumble with primers in, dry, lube and deprime. Wet tumble again and dry, and case gauge. Then lube and reload on an automatic press setup. Works great.

I do sort brass as I like to load on the hot side and some brass does not like that. That brass gets left on the ground at shooting competitions where the brass hogs beat me to it.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I wet tumble with primers in, dry, lube and deprime. Wet tumble again and dry, and case gauge. Then lube and reload on an automatic press setup. Works great.

I do sort brass as I like to load on the hot side and some brass does not like that. That brass gets left on the ground at shooting competitions where the brass hogs beat me to it.
    Can I ask what is the reason you gauge before the round is finished?

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I reload 9mm, and I'm basically a brass omnivore. The only thing I do besides cleaning and sizing is measure the brass and trim anything that's over length. I've read in a few places that this isn't necessary for 9mm, but I still do it anyways, as I figure it can't hurt anything.
    I’ve never measured pistol brass but rifle, I’m pretty picky about.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

I always laugh when I watch guys pickup the brass we leave behind.
    Its past worn out.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Interesting you say that. I've had the same thought but only know that the primer pocket is loose when I seat a primer and it goes in too easily, but at that point, the primer is already seated, so what do you do then? For me, I use a sharpie and mark the "butt" with a big "X" and box them together. When I pick them up again, I discard those with X's on the butts.

Similar; I color the primer with a sharpie. I pick all the cases up and crush the worn ones with pliers during sorting/depriming.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Have you processed any 223 and or 9mm mil brass with the APP yet?
    One of my brothers is looking at one just to process brass with. The videos make it look worthwhile to him.
    .223: Deprimed, swaged primer pockets, yes. Tried deprime & sizing but it puts too much load on the pass-through shell holder and pulls the cases out of it. They don't have enough grip on the rim. Good, thorough lube helps but makes a mess of things. I keep it fed with a dillon casefeeder.

9mm mil not sure what you mean... swaged primers? sure. size and deprime as fast as I can pull the lever, Run them all through again to swage pockets.

They're cheapish so totally worth it. Get the roller handle, I blistered my hand from the stupid ball it comes with.

Top Bottom