• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BurninBrass

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    between a couple cornfields
    I'm currently getting things inline for my first AR SBR build. I do not plan on purchasing an upper until I receive my tax stamp. On the Form 1, you have to list barrel length and overall length. I am currently undecided on a 10.5 or 11.5 barrel. Does the listed length on the Form 1 need to be exact or can I list 11 inches and be safe either way I decide to go?

Also, caliber on my lower is "MULTI" but I am going with 5.56. Do I list the caliber as 5.56 or multi? If I list 5.56, can I use a 22 conversion or is that a no-no?

Thanks in advance!

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    You should be able to write a letter about changing the configuration so don't sweat too much on the length.

You should put the actual caliber, so .223 or 5.56.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I actually just spoke to an ATF examiner about this yesterday, using this exact scenario (which given the flexibility of the AR platform, I'm sure they get this a lot).

She said that you need to put the original caliber in box 4c (so 5.56). If you want to have multiple calibers, she said you can list them out in the 4h box (additional description).

If you want to change it later, she said you just submit a written correspondence (aka a letter) to the ATF letting them know of the change and they will add it to the file on your gun.

She really didn't seem to think it was a big deal.

The length though, she said needs to be exact. So you should probably decided on that first before submitting the form. Again, though, you can add additional lengths in the 4h box or a letter after the fact. The ATF is pretty aware that changing the caliber on an AR pretty much means changing the upper.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Also, caliber on my lower is "MULTI" but I am going with 5.56. Do I list the caliber as 5.56 or multi? If I list 5.56, can I use a 22 conversion or is that a no-no?

Thanks in advance!

As long as you have the 5.56 upper you should be good to go with changing anything out. The way I have read.

I put mine down as .22 lr because I don't see me ever getting rid of that upper. I now have a 10.5" 5.56 upper for it, but don't need additional paperwork for that.

Do not put MULTI in there as they are kicking those back now.

BrandonHtwo0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    Portage, IN
    Agreed with the other posters, just list the calibur and you can send a letter if you change it. They dont have to approve the letter, you by law are just required to notify, not get permission. Good luck on the wait as they seem to have gone up. Im on month six now and they are telling me i wont have anything until probably september last i checked.

Good luck!

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    DONT PUT ANY EXTRA CALIBERS OR LENGTHS IN 4h. Despite what the examiner says, there's a good chance of the form getting kicked back. Decide what you're going to build and put it down. If you change your mind, send a letter AFTER your form comes back.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    DONT PUT ANY EXTRA CALIBERS OR LENGTHS IN 4h. Despite what the examiner says, there's a good chance of the form getting kicked back. Decide what you're going to build and put it down. If you change your mind, send a letter AFTER your form comes back.

Man, that's disturbing. If the ATF examiners aren't being consistent on what they say and what they do, we are in trouble.

Of course, that's nothing new. :(

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    If you read the description of box 4h, I don't see why you would put random calibers or lengths in that box anyways. It asks for other identifying marks that appear on the firearm. It doesn't ask for a list of accessories you bought for your Barbie gun.

bksboiler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Take a look at the Military Arms Channel link in the vender section. MAC did a great video on the proper way to fill out the form 1. I followed it just as described and both my form 1s went through without a hiccup.

Edit--it's actually a sticky at the top of the Class III page-- sorry!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom