• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Been thinking about that alot lately. Got a buddy that is on the fire dept and he told me that if my house was to catch fire....he would do nothing more than dump water from a distance. Just curious how I should store it. Plastic jugs will just melt and flash. What about real black powder? Since its in a metal can, is there more of a chance of an explosion than a flash. Been thinking about a small fire resistant safe, or is this overkill? Thanks INGO.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Been thinking about that alot lately. Got a buddy that is on the fire dept and he told me that if my house was to catch fire....he would do nothing more than dump water from a distance. Just curious how I should store it. Plastic jugs will just melt and flash. What about real black powder? Since its in a metal can, is there more of a chance of an explosion than a flash. Been thinking about a small fire resistant safe, or is this overkill? Thanks INGO.
    Sounds to me that your buddy, and his fire-department need to do some educating...

Smokeless powder is sold in special, non-pressurizing jugs (they have a burst seam so that they burst open). They won't explode, they won't burst, pop, blow or anything else, they will simply flare up. Is it dangerous if your buddy happened to be sitting down eating his dinner on top of your powder storage when they flared up? Yes Is it dangerous if he's 10-20 feet away? No

Black powder is another animal entirely. It will definitely do more than "flare up", but at normal storage amount I still don't think it's an issue...

This video would be a good start to training, but I think maybe a demo with a jug of real smokeless powder would be a good demonstration...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c

USMC-FF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    I'm a firefighter and keep my powder stored in my reloading room on the shelf. Just take a look in most residential garages. Way more bad stuff stored in garages and firefighters still go in.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Sounds to me that your buddy, and his fire-department need to do some educating...

Smokeless powder is sold in special, non-pressurizing jugs (they have a burst seam so that they burst open). They won't explode, they won't burst, pop, blow or anything else, they will simply flare up. Is it dangerous if your buddy happened to be sitting down eating his dinner on top of your powder storage when they flared up? Yes Is it dangerous if he's 10-20 feet away? No

Black powder is another animal entirely. It will definitely do more than "flare up", but at normal storage amount I still don't think it's an issue...

This video would be a good start to training, but I think maybe a demo with a jug of real smokeless powder would be a good demonstration...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c

Watched that vid...thanks for posting. To bad all that ammo was destroyed, but good information was given. Thanks again.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    As others have noted, smokeless powder is sold in containers designed to allow any pressure to escape if they catch fire or otherwise get too hot.
    Anyone who has ever seen a small pile of smokeless ignited out in the open will see that it flares up a bit, but nothing to get excited about unless you're standing on top of five pounds or more of the stuff at the time.
    Black powder is a bit more exciting, although I doubt most people who keep it on hand have more than a pound or two.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    As others have noted, smokeless powder is sold in containers designed to allow any pressure to escape if they catch fire or otherwise get too hot.
    Anyone who has ever seen a small pile of smokeless ignited out in the open will see that it flares up a bit, but nothing to get excited about unless you're standing on top of five pounds or more of the stuff at the time.
    Black powder is a bit more exciting, although I doubt most people who keep it on hand have more than a pound or two.

Alot of good information...thanks guys.

The black powder is what has me concerned more than anything. Will the container vent and flash, or cause more of an explosion? Only have 2 pounds, but that's enough to cause a big problem. After reading up on this, and looking around on the internet a little, my guess is that the can would vent and flash. Can anyone confirm this for me? Thanks again INGO.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I have my primers in one cabinet in my laundry room and my powders in another...many of my powders are out on my reloading table in the garage...but I try to move the ones I'm not using regularly in to longer term storage. All in thin walled kitchen style cabinets.

baba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I keep mine in a regular cabinet as well. Have been thinking about buying a flammables cabinet for them, but they are damned expensive. I could get a small safe with 30min fire rating for the same.

-Brian

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I keep mine in a regular cabinet as well. Have been thinking about buying a flammables cabinet for them, but they are damned expensive. I could get a small safe with 30min fire rating for the same.

-Brian

Then the safe becomes a bomb if the internal temperature reaches the autoignition point because it is not designed to relieve pressure.

If fire is a concern, a wooden box made from hardwood faced on the inside and the outside with several layers of drywall is a far more effective fire safe than most commercial fire safes.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If fire is a concern, a wooden box made from hardwood faced on the inside and the outside with several layers of drywall is a far more effective fire safe than most commercial fire safes.

This is exactly what people I know in the Lafayette Fire Department advised to do with my dog's breakfast of gun powders. Build a wooden box, line it with drywall and drill a few holes for airflow and pressure.

LFD should know, they have had entire houses blow up on them. *Yikes*

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Then the safe becomes a bomb if the internal temperature reaches the autoignition point because it is not designed to relieve pressure.

You are correct about a good wood box (1 inch nominal) is proper, firecode drywall helps a lot. The last critical design function is that the lid, (or a side or front) can easily fall open with very minimal pressure. That way IF something would ignite, any pressure could not raise to a dangerous level. Commercial units have certified blow off systems. Mine is simply a cover that just sits on top the box, no latches, just a few fingers that hold the lid centered.

Top Bottom