• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    i went to the range and tried to shoot out the center of the target but i got this. at about 10 yards i aimed at center

1.jpg

four more targets later and i got to this

5.jpg

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    "how do you know if your sights are off?"

If you dont hit the middle they are off.....
    You have to tell us more.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    Did you adjust your sites, or did the caffeine wear off?

funny how they started to bunch up huh?
    "how do you know if your sights are off?"

If you dont hit the middle they are off.....
    You have to tell us more.

the gun is a S&W 4506. it has fixed sights. ammo was 230 grain WWB and blazer brass. i kept the front white dot over the center the whole time with the three dots lined up.

Last edited:

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    I would just shoot it some more. it could be anything from your grip or stance has changed from round to round or you just got more comfy shooting it.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    virtually every fighting handgun with fixed sights is zeroed for 25 yards IIRC.

which is silly if you ask me. I'd think 25' --> 0' would be ideal personally.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    virtually every fighting handgun with fixed sights is zeroed for 25 yards IIRC.

which is silly if you ask me. I'd think 25' --> 0' would be ideal personally.

which means at 25 yards the bullet should hit where the front sight is covering? also is mine considered a fighting handgun?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    i have no freakin idea. is there any way for me to find out? or do i have to take it to a gun smith?

Were you shooting up old junk ammo or reloads? That is not an indiaction the sights are off. More like loose, non existant, getting little use.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    I'm a newbie, but the change from the first target you show to the second one suggests to me that it's an issue of practice and technique rather than sights. If your technique was flawless and the sights were off, it seems like all the shots on the first target would bunch up in one location -- instead they're scattered. So, caffeine wearing off, getting more comfortable shooting, recalling muscle memory, fixing small errors in your grip, trigger pull, etc, seems more likely to account for the change. The second target looks pretty darn good to me! If you're worried about being 1" low on it, I would agree with what others have said that it could be that the pistol is zero'd at 25 yards and so is a bit low at 10.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    Well the second target is actually the fifth one. After the first one they started to come together. Ill post the others when I get a chance. I started to squeeze the trigger more instead of pulling it. What does zeroing mean?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    "Zero" comes from rifle scope terminology. When you have the crosshairs sighted in where you want them, you adjust the knobs so they read "zero" at the desired setting. Then if you sight in at a different distance, or you adjust for wind you can always get back to your "zero."

And BTW, very nice group on that last target.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    No I don't think it was over lubricated. If it was zeroed at 50 feet shouldn't it have hit dead center at 10 yards? Judging by the last target do you think the sights are good? Or is it user error?

Top Bottom