• ...and so much more!
  • Edged Tools

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Ft Wayne
    In your opinion, What makes a good knife?

If you were giving a knife you’ve never heard of an honest review, what is your criteria?

How do you evaluate it? What characteristics do you look for in blade steel (without naming a specific steel)? Handle material? Etc etc

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    I always suggest that people get a knife that "fits" their hand. The knife's handle is the interface between the knife's edge and your hand. I am partial to G10 handle material and a 3.5" blade. Blade steel is a personal choice since some like easy to sharpen steel while others like tougher material. Since I machine sharpen as a side job I opt for M390 or S35VN.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Blade steel is important , S35VN is the bare minimum these days IMHO. Then the often overlooked heat treatment is next , I personally prefer a 61-62HRC blade but for exotic stuff like ZDP-189 it can go all the way to 65-66.

Then handle material , canvas micarta or G10 being the minimums here.

If it's a folder I am a big fan of titanium frame locks and even better if they have a stainless lock bar insert. Phosphor bronze bushings are OK but would prefer a bearing action.

My favorite knife is a Strider SMF for reference

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Is it a full-tang fixed blade, does it fit my hand, is it sharp, is it pointy, with at least 4.5" of blade length, and does it hold its edge, so I don't have to sharpen it all the time?

That's it.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    At this point, for a folder its rarity or specialty, customs. My style choices. I like wharnicifle blade shapes or modified wharncliffe. Forged carbon is always cool to me.

Fix blades are a bit more utilitarian for me so it is handle shape/ feel first. Then blade shape.

The steel is determined by the usage. Some more used is going to be less exotic that way is is easier to sharpen on the go.

Maxmet, s90v, cts-xhp are not steels that can just be touched up quickly with a little pocket rod.

But 154cm, infi, 14n28c are steels that can be touched up quickly to get you back at task.

Name

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Randolph County

If you were giving a knife you’ve never heard of an honest review, what is your criteria?

How do you evaluate it? What characteristics do you look for in blade steel (without naming a specific steel)? Handle material? Etc etc
    If it lasts more than a month. It's a good knife. If it costs over $30 you wasted your money because you won't use it as intended. I'm a fan of Kershaw folders. Reasonably priced and last years of use.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau

I'll attempt to answer this in the order you've asked your questions.
    In my opinion, fit, finish, ease of use, ease of maintenance, quality steel and price.
    If I were to give an honest review, the things I listed above would be the sole criteria and nothing more than my opinion and biases.
    I think I'd try to limit my evaluation to overall usability and try not to nitpick it over the small things.
    What I look for in blade steel is ease of sharpening without a specialty sharpener and ability to keep an edge with normal use.
    Handle material, as long as it's usable when wet or bloody, not too picky there as long as there's quality in the form and function.
    The one thing I insist on with any CARRY knife is one handed operation whether it be an auto, thumb stud, hole in the blade.
    That's the issue with a review, while honest, there will always be a bias or preferences. Notice how I left out fixed blades? I love fixed blades but not for a carrying knife. I left out hard to sharpen steel because I'm not very good at blade sharpening.
    While I can say "it's honest", I can also say my review may not be very useful to others that do not share my opinions.....................and that goes for any review of anything.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I evaluate it by fit in my hand first. 2nd size, if it's to big getting it in or out of a pocket is cumbersome. 3rd weight. I also want easy one hand operation. Grip material isn't super important to me as long as it doesn't get slick while using it I'm fine. I also like a clip that can be moved and placed how you want it, I carry tip down in my right pocket. When I carry a knife that is tip up it throws me all out of whack.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I’m not really scientific in my approach at all. Is it made by a reputable brand? Is it made of quality materials that fit the intended use? Then I’m happy. I realize those are BROAD requirements, but most knives are multi-use tools and thus they can cross over to numerous uses.

The one thing I require is a solid lock if it’s a folder. I’ve been bit by a cheap folder that had a lock fail. Not BAD, but bad enough that I’ve never forgotten it.

I’ve had some exotic steels. They’re fun. But for a user knife, I’m with several others. I want a steel that holds a good working edge for a reasonable period of time, but that can be brought back without a lot of fuss. Right now, my most exotic steels are CPM-M4 in my Spyderco Gayle Bradley, or the M390 in my Hogue Ritter. Everything else? VG-10 or 154CM, for the most part. I kind of want a Benchmade 550BK again, along with a PM2, both in S30V. We’ll see though.

Last edited:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I rotate my carry knives, I have a Rough Rider canoe that is scalpel sharp, but slow to open (not an issue or deal killer for me) I carry it sometimes.. I bought a neat Boker Magnum from the Army, and Air Force exchange, I'm carrying currently, I love the traditional looking knives, not so much the G10's, but have several of those. I choose knives based on if they speak to me...You knife guys know what I mean..... 4BCE2428-4133-4455-AE3D-5B6926FB6DB5.jpeg

Attachments

• 202D8CA6-E7C5-431E-B8AE-89051ADFF21D.jpeg
      202D8CA6-E7C5-431E-B8AE-89051ADFF21D.jpeg
      460.3 KB · Views: 3

pewpew2232

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Charlestown
    I tend to use my knives like knives, I don't pry with them or use them like screw drivers, so I generally like my blades on the thinner side and slicy. My main go to at work is a Spyderco Delica in VG 10 it takes a super fine edge and holds it for a decent time I'll generally run it over a strop once a week or so if I'm cutting a lot of tape and cardboard. I've also grown fond of my spyderco chapparel in CTS-XHP, slices and peals things like no one's business and holds an edge forever, seems to be about the limit for me to still easily touch up free handed to. I'm also a fan of Case CV knives for traditionals but I have to watch them in the summer, or the blades can start getting some rust.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I choose knives based on if they speak to me...You knife guys know what I mean.....

MrSmitty knows, and so do I. Yuppers, it has to reach out and speak to me.
    Recently, this BBQ-grade Spyderco said "buy me".... and I did.

I have a soft spot for ancient Woolly Mammoth fossils, as in the inlays set by the craftsmen of SantaFe Knifeworks. (it's a multi-generation native American business)
    Beyond the first attraction, I check size, blade steel, type of lockup, and all the usual things that knife guys check !

i-Qj5v5d7-XL.jpg

Last edited:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    MrSmitty knows, and so do I. Yuppers, it has to reach out and speak to me.
    Recently, this BBQ-grade Spyderco said "buy me".... and I did.

I have a soft spot for ancient Woolly Mammoth fossils, as in the inlays set by the craftsmen of SantaFe Knifeworks. (it's a multi-generation native American business)
    Beyond the first attraction, I check size, blade steel, type of lockup, and all the usual things that knife guys check !

i-Qj5v5d7-XL.jpg
    I think the knife costs more than the SV9...........

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Take one that is sharp as all get out.

Top Bottom