• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My wife does our taxes (accounting major FTW!). We check it against TurboTax, which my dad uses for his taxes.

If your taxes are pretty straightforward, TurboTax can do a good job. It is certainly easier to type into the forms and let the software handle the math for you.

kharb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Granger
    I've used H&R Block online for about 6 years now for my federal. Usually can find coupons to get it at a discount. Deluxe version is normally about $30 but getting it for $21 this year. Have to use Deluxe because of my partnership (Form K-1). Not sure on the Basic version capabilities but it's cheaper.

I just use the IN DOR website, I-File, to file my state. It's free and really easy.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    We use H&R Block. Having both of us in school with education write-off's and my wife running a small business out of the home, we just want to make sure everything is on the up & up. Though we could probably handle it ourselves, we prefer having a professional (okay, at least a somewhat professional) do it.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Accountant. I have some rental property which complicates things somewhat. I could do them myself, but I have figured if I spend half the time it would take me to do my taxes on billable work, I am money ahead.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    We go to Krisstel (I think that is how you spell it.) We both work full time and have two home businesses and they are who the IRS uses locally to do audits. For that reason, their clients rarely get audited. It is worth the $200 and an hour to get our taxes knocked out.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Never paid anyone to do mine, doesn't seem right that we have to pay someone to fugure how much we have to pay. Mine are a little complicated. What is irritating is that this year the IRS decided not to send out the 1040 instructions. I have stopped at the library several times and they still don't have it. Supposedly IRS stopped sending it out because a small percentage actually files on their own. OK idiots, just send the instructions to those folks!

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Never paid anyone to do mine, doesn't seem right that we have to pay someone to fugure how much we have to pay. Mine are a little complicated. What is irritating is that this year the IRS decided not to send out the 1040 instructions. I have stopped at the library several times and they still don't have it. Supposedly IRS stopped sending it out because a small percentage actually files on their own. OK idiots, just send the instructions to those folks!

1040 Central

The instructions are online.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    CPA. As one of my friends delicately put it, I am "low functioning" when it comes to forms of any type. I practically have a phobia about them. If it wants more than name, address, and phone number, I wonder if it's time to turn to cannibalism.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Public Accountant here...I use Turbo Tax online and then cross reference to our in-house Lacerte software. I use Turbo Tax because I like the "Taxes for Dummies" approach where the software leads you with basic questions.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Should also add that we only use TT for the Federal returns.

I go to the State website for the State taxes.

It's redundant (entering all the info again), but it's free.

-J-

Top Bottom