• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    It looks like I am going to need a whole house humidifier this winter for my mom who has a variety of health issues. House is about 2800 sqft 2 level with forced air heat 24/7 blower high efficiency furnace. Family room with laundry is lower level, kitchen and living room on main level and bedrooms on top level. Lower level is seldom used and it seems to me the most sense is to put it on middle level in living room. Hooking up to the ductwork is out of the question. Well water with a softener. I have one of these that I used in the past https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000D8EJV/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 I thought it was a maintenance nightmare. The wick seemed to calcify quickly even with conditioner and keeping it filled with water was a chore. I wish I could run house water to it so it would self fill,

Any other ideas and input are welcome

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    That one linked hooks up to the ductwork, I am looking for a freestanding unit

Ah, I read it wrong; I read it as 'can't hookup to duct work due to well and softener'. reading comprehension is not my friend today.

I guess I don't know how you could have a whole house humidifier without hooking into the duct work. I would PM churchmouse as he is good with such things.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You are going to be hard pressed to do your entire house with a freestanding unit.
    Maybe 2 or more.
    To get the job done properly the unit has to be attached to the supply air duct. The furnace dries your air out as it passes through the heat-X and a properly installed unit will get the air "Wet" as it goes back out into the house. The entire house not just the room where the free standing unit is.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    The reason I don't want to hook into the duct work is that my dad was a sheet metal worker and hated them claiming that they rotted out the ductwork. Is that still an issue with them now? FWIW my dad would be 89 if he was still alive

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The reason I don't want to hook into the duct work is that my dad was a sheet metal worker and hated them claiming that they rotted out the ductwork. Is that still an issue with them now? FWIW my dad would be 89 if he was still alive

A properly installed and sized unit will not attack the duct work. The old water injection systems were terrible. The new ones are fine. If you have enough airflow and keep your filter serviced you will be fine.
    The Honeywells that I use have a servicable media insert that needs to be changed yearly or twice if your water sucks.

Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    An Aprilaire fan powered may work for you, like a 700M. I installed one for several reasons:
    -It mounts on the supply side (by the A coil), which was best for me.
    -Didn’t have to tap into return
    -Water is introduced on the outside of the duct, so nothing to leak into your furnace.

Need to have a power receptacle close by. Depending on your controller, you may need a current sensor to allow it to operate only when your blower is running.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    If you do decide to stay with a portable humidifier, the Sunbeam/Holmes 630 tower series has served me well since 2012. Portable enough to relocate, economical and easy to replace wicks, and sensible easy to fill reservoir with large visual water level indication. Dang, after reading all that... I'm even almost ready to go buy another one. I've been the Aprilaire and large console "portable" humidifier route previously and neither has proven to be for me.

Top Bottom