House-to-house, the untold story of Hurricane Katrina's gun confiscation teams.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I spoke to Patricia Konie's attorney after this happened and offered to travel to New Orleans on my own dime to testify as an expert witness against those thugs in any action he wanted to bring.
    What was the final disposition on that, the only thing I found was a document basically dismissing everything against that moron officer except an excessive force claim.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Ray Nagin wanted to do something lefty leadership wise to raise his profile in the Katrina mess and what's more lefty than gun confiscation in the name of public safety. Plenty of other more positive things to do as far as helping the people affected by Katrina, but it clearly demonstrated the cowardice, corruption and ineptitude of Nagin.

It's a tribute to the power of city political machines that he was elected to a second term as mayor after having served the people so poorly and enriched himself at their expense from the disaster.

Life sorting trash in a recycling center would have been a more fitting punishment for his crimes, but he's out on home detention after an early covid prison release.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Hence why some here don’t like me for my failure to be a bootlicker.......

cops aren’t on your side, they are on the governments side. I realized this after reading the book “Ordinary men”

anyone else know it was the cops who actually carried out most of the killing during the Holocaust?

Don’t believe me? Fine read the book or come up with a valid counterpoint. Don’t act like a liberal and just say “no way that’s not true” with zero references

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

cops aren’t on your side, they are on the governments side. I realized this after reading the book “Ordinary men”

anyone else know it was the cops who actually carried out most of the killing during the Holocaust?

Don’t believe me? Fine read the book or come up with a valid counterpoint. Don’t act like a liberal and just say “no way that’s not true” with zero references
    I think you are way over-simplifying things rooster. First, I don't think it was the ordinary "beat cops" that were doing the killing. You'll have to back that up with some kind of documentation and rational explanation of how that would even remotely resemble the average police department.

I think this description is a big clue:

"Ordinary Men is the true story of Reserve Police Battalion 101 of the German Order Police, which was responsible for mass shootings as well as round-ups of Jewish people for deportation to Nazi death camps in Poland in 1942."

"Reserve Police Battalion 101 of the German Order Police" doesn't sound much like IMPD, MCSD or ISP or any other local police force.

Reactions: Leo

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    You'll have to back that up with some kind of documentation and rational explanation of how that would even remotely resemble the average police department.
    Well since the book is downstairs I’ll cite a web source that’s verifiable.

In the mid-1930s, the Nazis began to provide military-style training to uniformed police, and after 1939 they sent dozens of police battalions east to support the war against “Jewish Bolshevism” being waged by the German army and the Einsatzgruppen. Reserve Police Battalion 101 was made up of the German equivalent of city policemen and county sheriffs. It was assigned to the district of Lublin in Poland.”

I’ll grab the book after I put my kid down and get some direct quotes but these were normal men who signed up to be police officers. They didn’t sign up for MP duty or anything like it, they signed up to police the fatherland because all the young men were being prepared to be sent off to fight the war.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well since the book is downstairs I’ll cite a web source that’s verifiable.

In the mid-1930s, the Nazis began to provide military-style training to uniformed police, and after 1939 they sent dozens of police battalions east to support the war against “Jewish Bolshevism” being waged by the German army and the Einsatzgruppen. Reserve Police Battalion 101 was made up of the German equivalent of city policemen and county sheriffs. It was assigned to the district of Lublin in Poland.”

I’ll grab the book after I put my kid down and get some direct quotes but these were normal men who signed up to be police officers. They didn’t sign up for MP duty or anything like it, they signed up to police the fatherland because all the young men were being prepared to be sent off to fight the war.

Okay, at the risk of sounding (to you) like a copout (no pun intended), I don't think the situation here in the U.S. is the same as in Germany back then, at least not in this regard. There are other things that are similar but I just don't see this as one of them. But I haven't read the book, so I'm not totally discounting it.

I do know that if the attitudes and comments from INGO's LEOs is any indication, I don't see any of them signing up for these "battalions" anytime soon.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I think you are way over-simplifying things rooster. First, I don't think it was the ordinary "beat cops" that were doing the killing. You'll have to back that up with some kind of documentation and rational explanation of how that would even remotely resemble the average police department.

I think this description is a big clue:

"Ordinary Men is the true story of Reserve Police Battalion 101 of the German Order Police, which was responsible for mass shootings as well as round-ups of Jewish people for deportation to Nazi death camps in Poland in 1942."

"Reserve Police Battalion 101 of the German Order Police" doesn't sound much like IMPD, MCSD or ISP or any other local police force.
    I don`t know that one could necessarily claim that any one particular "group" was responsible for any particular number of murders, could you? But to make an analogy applicable for today, we have the right to defend ourselves against criminals, and ANYONE who tramples our constitutional rights, regardless of title, badge, uniform, or position, IS a criminal. Period.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Okay, at the risk of sounding (to you) like a copout (no pun intended), I don't think the situation here in the U.S. is the same as in Germany back then, at least not in this regard. There are other things that are similar but I just don't see this as one of them. But I haven't read the book, so I'm not totally discounting it.

I do know that if the attitudes and comments from INGO's LEOs is any indication, I don't see any of them signing up for these "battalions" anytime soon.
    The LEO's we have on here are solid.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    let’s not start on that I’m attacking INGO Leo’s. I’m not.

I have little doubt any on here engaging with the public, specifically gun owners are most likely great guys. More like I’m respectful of what there profession can be bastardized to be.

the point in bringing this book up was to bring up the psychology of groups of armed men like police or national guard and what can happen when a group of normal men are given a mission that is against everything they have believed their entire lives.

the psychology of a group and how Katrina confiscations happened and how the German reserve police of WW2 did their part in the holocaust are pretty similar and I know that makes people uncomfortable. Perhaps it’s best to learn from this and ensure that all who wear a badge or a uniform understand what makes an order illegal or unconstitutional

from the book page 1
    “ considered too young led to be of use to the German army they had been drafted into the order police”

the order police was the result of a nationalization of city and rural police that began in 1936. So yes I say with very little doubt that regular ol beat cops took part in these atrocities.

“The battalion was commanded by fifty-three year old Major Wilhelm Trapp, a World War One veteran and recipient of the Iron Cross First Class. After the Great War ended he became a career policeman and rose through the ranks. Though Trapp had joined the Nazi Party in December 1932, he had never been taken into the SS.”

Disclaimer: I couldn’t bring myself to finish the book. I served in the army, I went overseas, but what’s in that book is an accounting of a complete corruption of men. Normal men that were corrupted one murder at a time until there was no hope of redemption for them. At the point I stopped it had become nothing more than page after page of doing the math of human body counts..........pure evil. I pray nothing like it ever happens again.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

No, but many would cheerfully retire to get away from the political bs. What would you expect from their replacements?

retyree98

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Brooklyn
    My experience with the police officers I have interacted with is mixed, like with all professions. Good a/c techs, idiot a/c techs..Good plumbers, idiot plumbers, good french fry fryers, idiot french fry fryers. Remember that every graduating class has a valedictorian, and last place graduate, be they doctors of policemen. For every sub par officer hiding in the massive ranks of the IMPD, there is a small town "Barney" just waiting to make a name for himself. For every great LEO in the ranks of the IMPD, there is an "Andy" doing a great job. Waco tells us that there are no lack of LEO's, Government agency people, military personel, or first responders willing to follow orders, even if it means burning American women and children alive. When the orders are given, bonuses offered, do not be surprised to see your neighbor, follow those orders. Look at the "rank and file" agents of the FBI...They took the oath, are supposed to be the best LEO's on the block, but which agent has arrested Comey, Wray, any Biden, Brennan...on and on, when proof of their crimes are in the news every day? Not a single one. Not one agent has come forward to arrest Comey, even though he has admitted releasing top secret documents he stole to his lawyer was illegal. Not one out of the thousands. How many IMPD officers stopped the riots destroying citizens property, and how many followed orders and stepped aside, allowing stores to be destroyed and looted? Which one stood his ground to preserve the Jewelry shop west of the circle...not one. Looted for HOURS...No, not one. It's a shame but it is a fact that I didn't see any of the "good " officers when Indy needed them, they followed orders. I blame those who gave the orders first, like the Mayor, but the rest followed orders. No captain or leader jumped up and made an inspiring speech "That this riot must be brought under control for the safety of our citizens!" Nope, didn't hear a peep. I fear this is what we can expect should the orders be given to confiscate our weapons. Most will stay home or follow those orders, but which one will stand up for the law? Not one.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Like Ray Nagin, Eddie Compass the police chief was in way over his head.

Political posturing for TV along big city leftist themes were what the people got from the city instead of leadership focused on helping their citizens in distress. I remember when interviewed, Compass said that "nobody was going to have guns". I thought at the time of such suffering by citizens, is that the best they can do?

Internal squabbles and a press for tribunals for the 250 officers who left their posts without permission showed city leadership at it's worst, but I have always wondered how other big city leadership would handle a similar problem.

I remember then mayor Bloomberg in 2003 on TV reassuring New York that the big east coast blackout would be over in a few hours and thinking, who is he talking to?;)

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I wasn't a member here then. Was this talked about? Has anything legally been put in place to prevent this from happening again? I ask because I truly don't know. :scratch:
    It's been talked about a few times. A member here not sure if former or still active was in the IN NG and was sent down there and has a thread or two on here about his time there. Their job was mainly search for people that needed help, search for people beyond help aka dead, and check for unsecured firearms iirc. They were supposed to confiscate firearms from abandoned homes and take them to the local police for safekeeping, they found out they were just being dumped in the lake so they stopped. If they found any they just stashed them away in the homes they found them in after that.

Found one of the threads from him. Still a member but hasn't been here in a little while.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I know a lot of cops and this is not the Holocaust so stay with us on this.
    We will not bash our Local LEO without cause. I know way to many members on this board that are LEO and hold faith they would not do this. If I was proven to be wrong I know, that they know not to come **** with me and mine. Nuff said.

Just a pleasant reminder.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I know a lot of cops and this is not the Holocaust so stay with us on this.
    We will not bash our Local LEO without cause. I know way to many members on this board that are LEO and hold faith they would not do this. If I was proven to be wrong I know, that they know not to come **** with me and mine. Nuff said.

Just a pleasant reminder.
    Excellent point. I have no question that our LEO members would shuck their badges before turning on us. They are entirely different from the Chipmans of the world.

This distinction is a significant part of my reasoning for starting a thread to explore subsets of law enforcement which tend to harbor those who would or else already have turned on us--without flinging **** at everyone with a badge.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    words are cheap, when it comes down to it those holding the guns/badges/ government authority will most likely choose to follow orders. who can blame them? They have the most to lose from standing up and saying it’s illegal or unconstitutional.

Everyone here likes to say “lost them in a boating accident” like it’s a joke. It’s a cop out, when confronted your plan is to lie and hide what you have and then do what?

Those in positions of government sanctioned authority and violence don’t have that option, they really have Two choices

1. do as ordered, keep pension, keep paycheck avoid potentially getting detained, disarmed. Help your coworkers and brothers do the dangerous task you’ve been given.

2. Stand up and say no, probably lose rank and pay as a result, possibly lose pension, career, paycheck. Leave your brothers and co workers hanging and down a guy.

not LEO bashing here, just being intellectually honest with myself and others about what the realities of a Katrina type order are. They have a hard choice to make and they are forced to make that choice in a public way with almost immediate consequences.

Top Bottom