• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Reality
    Good point, I should have.

One thing not yet brought up in this discussion is the employees at these places. Do we take the position that they knew the place allowed smoking when they accepted the job? Do they get any say in this? In my experience the other day, the guy smoking at the counter had several waitresses going by him because they had to get to where the cooks were serving up the dishes. Back in the 70's I worked in an office where I was the only non smoker. The three women I worked with chain smoked all day. Most of the customers coming in also smoked. That's just how it was.

Not an attack, an observation. While the smokers back in the 70's made things less than pleasant for you, the second hand smoke obviously didn't kill you...it was at least 30years ago...and here you post. Cigarette smoking is a very inefficient method to kill oneself. Second hand smoke dangers have been blown way out of proportion.

I dont smoke and cigarette smoke is annoying...but....this represents more liberty being stolen from citizens by the geniuses we elect. Who exactly is pushing for this legislation? With all that is going on in our country, THIS is deemed important and needing immediate action?!

:dunno:

Since when is imposition and non-smokers opinions More valid than smokers?

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    Speaking as a reformed smoker ( not since November 28th), I will attest to the stench that cigarettes produce. I can smell it now. However, in a free society, the .gov should never step in and tell me what I can or can not do; whether I am a business or a private citizen - period.:twocents:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    IMO, smoking bans don't have anything to do with smoking.

It's just more conditioning so we'll get used to being told what to do and how to do it.
    Legislators probably pass laws because they think that's what they were sent to do. Or else because they're bored.

If they just sat in session and did nothing, would we still want to pay their salaries (assuming we want to pay them presently)?

Would we re-elect a legislator who did absolutely nothing the previous session but vote against any new law?
    :dunno:

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Good point, I should have.

One thing not yet brought up in this discussion is the employees at these places. Do we take the position that they knew the place allowed smoking when they accepted the job? Do they get any say in this? In my experience the other day, the guy smoking at the counter had several waitresses going by him because they had to get to where the cooks were serving up the dishes. Back in the 70's I worked in an office where I was the only non smoker. The three women I worked with chain smoked all day. Most of the customers coming in also smoked. That's just how it was.

We take the position that they are employees, not slaves, engaged in the free and fair trade of labor for wages. Do they get a say? Absolutely. They can trade their labor for wages elsewhere. I believe with every fiber of my being that employees have no right whatsoever to tell a business owner how their property will be used.

Employees - the new children.

1943Izzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Liberty
    shoulda given a list on what was in the bill. would have been shorter. either way. a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other is kinda normal. what would happen to the bars?
    Ft. Wayne has the smoking ban and I believe it actually increased bar business. The Ohio bars are doing pretty well also.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    I can agree with 2nd hand smoke being harmful in the long run but anymore, so can the foods you consume on a daily basis even if you eat in a smoke free environment.:dunno::dunno:

lowriderjim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Huntington
    I have not read how they expect to enforce this law.

Ft Wayne has had smoking ban for several years. I think I read that they have only issued three tickets.

The fire department enforces the law in FW and only in response to complaints.

Did our government vote in response to the people or the special interest groups?

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have not read how they expect to enforce this law.

Ft Wayne has had smoking ban for several years. I think I read that they have only issued three tickets.

The fire department enforces the law in FW and only in response to complaints.

Did our government vote in response to the people or the special interest groups?
    Special interest groups and a vocal minority who like to be busy bodies and tell people how to live their lives... :xmad:

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Ft. Wayne has the smoking ban and I believe it actually increased bar business. The Ohio bars are doing pretty well also.

Why not have the best of both worlds that a true free market allows? If you don't like smoke, go to a bar where the owner has decided to be smoke-free, If you wanna smoke, then go to a bar that allows it. It hasn't hurt bar business because a smoker will simply go outside to light up, but that should be a decision made by bar and restaurant owners not the state.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    So, how does this make republicrats different than their buddies on the opposite side of the aisle?

There's an aisle?

Somebody must have not told the statist pigs.

And to think people claim there is no "bipartisanship". The party is working amongst itself very well. Very well indeed.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    I don't smoke but whether you do or don't this is just another example of the further erosion of personal liberties.

Top Bottom