• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbusyc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2018
    South of Indy
    Does anyone have experience with the Hornady Rapid vehicle safe? The way my car is set up im not able to slide a safe under the drivers seat. Currently I have one placed under the back of the front passenger seat, which is difficult to reach. Is there a better option that I am over thinking? (the photos are from the Hornady site)
    RAPiD® Vehicle Safe RFID - open
    RAPiD® Vehicle Safe RFID closed

Jon Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2021
    Warsaw
    Can you go with a holster mounted near your leg on the console and use the safe when you exit the vehicle?

I have had the same thoughts but just not sure of the system that I want to use. I like to have quick access to my firearm while traveling. (Drawing from a seated position tis difficult)

I often carry a 1911 4" in a belt holster and an XD in the console for quick access (and 14 extra rounds) but then I have to shove that XD in a coat pocket when I exit my car.

I recently purchased a mount, from Knife kits, that I am going to try to mount a Kydex holster to, and the mount to the drivers side of my dash. Not real sure how this is going to work out just yet.

I don't want to be drilling holes in the vehicle until I get this all figured out in my head.

Csae in point: My wife and I pulled up to a stoplight, in the left lane, while a semi truck pulled up in the right lane. A car pulled in behind me and the driver exited immediately.

i pulled the XD from the console as I watched the driver head around toward our passenger side. (my wife knows that when I reach for the XD, bussiness is picking up.

The fella, fortunately for him, jumped up on the side of the semi and was banging on the window, cussing and threatenng the driver.

The light turned green and as I drove away, I put the XD back, with very shakey hands, I might add.

Short answer, I don't have any experience with rapid safe. Sorry.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    No experience here either, but man that thing looks cumbersome, and a focal point for any ne'er-do-gooder peeking through your door window. Does your pistol need locking up? If you're concerned about thieves but are able to slide a safe from under a seat, couldn't a thief just walk away with the safe as well? If you're concerned about kids or other passengers accessing the gun, does your glove box and/or center console lock?

I did the same thing as @Jon Smith and simply mounted a holster to my side of the console. Gun goes in the glove box when I'm parked away from home.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I’ll third what the others have said. I carry appendix, so I can carry my gun while driving and still access it. If I need to leave my gun in the car for some reason I just lock it in the glove box.

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I agree that the highly-visible-when-parked enclosure is an unwanted attention magnet.

Those times when you can't avoid leaving a pistol in the vehicle, if there is something like the lockerdown console safe available for your vehicle model, that is more discreet. I think they are a little slow, which could be fatally slow, to get into in an emergency.

If you intend to be armed and able to respond when you are on the road, holster carry while driving. You could well be up and out of the vehicle when something develops, like examining a fender bender with the other driver and then they go nuts. Use your imagination and generate another half dozen scenarios where you need your weapon but you are dead or bleeding because it's out of reach or back inside your vehicle. In many situations where you have concerns but the ballon has not gone up yet, you do not want to be obviously retrieving a pistol or taking your eyes off the situation to do so, or having it in hand, or insecurely jamming it in your waist band. Already holstered it goes everywhere you do unseen and readily at hand.

When I had to show up to a workplace where I could not carry inside (which is pretty common) I encountered two different road rage idiots on my commute over time. After the first case I realized the practice of driving in with pistol in the console and only threading it onto the belt after work was less than ideal, and went to a Safariland all plastic-y paddle holster; they are surprisingly inexpensive and now can be found with the excellent and very fast to release ALS retention system. That let me slide it on the hip in the bedroom, and slide it off to secure in the console once I pulled into the parking lot.

Top Bottom