• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I got the most recent edition of the Hornady reloading book. I found a load for 300 winchester for 150 gr Soft Points and loaded 50 of them. I was looking thru several other manuals and it is 10 grs less than most other starting load is this good? The load is 58.4 grs of H4350 the Hodgon manual has a starting load of 68.0 grs. It is advertised as a slower load in the Hornady manual at 2800 fps. I was gonna use these to get me on paper before switching to some Remington Corelokts any thought?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    The Newer Manuals, all have LOWER max loads, I guess it is a liability thing .....

As always, start low, and work up, watching for signs of pressure .....

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    The Newer Manuals, all have LOWER max loads, I guess it is a liability thing .....

As always, start low, and work up, watching for signs of pressure .....

It's not a lower Max load it's a lower staring load. It also says specially in the 300 mag section that they should be ran near max velocities which is 3200 fps but then list data for a 2800 fps load. It's a little confusing I'm just confused I usually don't question published load data from good sources but it seemed off a bit. But I looked at other similar cartridges in the same book and they seemed to correlate.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Always refer to more than one manual and pay attention to the components used in each, as all components are not equal when it comes to velocity and pressure. I usually look at the median load between 3 to 4 manuals and start there, then move up or down in charge if it is necessary. I have manuals from all companies going back 40 years. Many recommendations have changed over that time frame. Also note that every powder is batch made with a lot number because raw components can change (chemically, texturally, etc) as changes are made in manufacturing processes. This drives the changes in load recommendations. Also, the pressure and velocity measuring devices vary at each powder manufacturer.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Some books list the entire range of suitable charge weights for a powder, while others restrict their data to a safe starting point and a safe MAX.

I try to reference two or three sources when determining where to start with a new set of components. If data is available from the company that made the bullet I'm shooting, I tend to trust that more. When working with wildcats, I rely on QuickLoad, experience, and a healthy dose of prudence when working up safe loads. It ups the pucker factor a mite, but that's half the fun. :)

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The Hornady book specifically list the Hornady brand bullets. But I am sure some of the data carry's over. I have have Lyman, Lee, Nosler and Hornady manuals. I look in all the books can compare the load data. The load range swings between them can be pretty wide! I think everyone should have several books to look over.

I love the 300 win mag. I am assuming you are loading Win Mag? Or are you loading Short Mag? My best WM load so far seems to be a 180gn SST over 74gn'ds of H4831's. Currently working on some loads for the 190gn Sierra Match Kings.

I just looked in my Hornady and Lyman books and your load (if win mag) seems to be at least 2 grains light. :dunno: (edit: I was looking at IMR not H so his data was correct, my bad)

Last edited:

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    The Hornady book specifically list the Hornady brand bullets. But I am sure some of the data carry's over. I have have Lyman, Lee, Nosler and Hornady manuals. I look in all the books can compare the load data. The load range swings between them can be pretty wide! I think everyone should have several books to look over.

I love the 300 win mag. I am assuming you are loading Win Mag? Or are you loading Short Mag? My best WM load so far seems to be a 180gn SST over 74gn'ds of H4831's. Currently working on some loads for the 190gn Sierra Match Kings.

I just looked in my Hornady and Lyman books and your load (if win mag) seems to be at least 2 grains light. :dunno:

Mayes it's a 300 win mag. Using Hornady brass and bullets. The manual has a charge listed starting at 2800 fps and it goes up 100 fps at a time all the way to 3200 fps. I may just call Hornady and pic their brain

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Mayes it's a 300 win mag. Using Hornady brass and bullets. The manual has a charge listed starting at 2800 fps and it goes up 100 fps at a time all the way to 3200 fps. I may just call Hornady and pic their brain

My book(9th edition) shows a 58,4 load for H4350, my bad, I was looking at IMR. Try that load and move up a half a grain in steps toward maximum. See what accuracy you can get. sorry about missleading you.

180gn's seemed to like 2900fps in my rifle, byt every bullet and barrel are different. I enjoy working up a good load on a new rifle.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    My book(9th edition) shows a 58,4 load for H4350, my bad, I was looking at IMR. Try that load and move up a half a grain in steps toward maximum. See what accuracy you can get. sorry about missleading you.

180gn's seemed to like 2900fps in my rifle, byt every bullet and barrel are different. I enjoy working up a good load on a new rifle.

Maybe we should ask a Mod to back and modify your post with that incorrect load data just to be safe?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Maybe we should ask a Mod to back and modify your post with that incorrect load data just to be safe?

You don't need a mod to do that. It's something a member can do themselves. He could load up to 73.9 grains according to Hornady's load data. So adding two grains would still be a safe load. But I will add a note to my post.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    You don't need a mod to do that. It's something a member can do themselves. He could load up to 73.9 grains according to Hornady's load data. So adding two grains would still be a safe load. But I will add a note to my post.

Oh, I thought once there was a subsequent post, you could not go back and edit any above it. Thanks.

Also, I misread your latest post and thought you indicated that your original post showed an unsafe load. Sorry about that...

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Oh, I thought once there was a subsequent post, you could not go back and edit any above it. Thanks.

Also, I misread your latest post and thought you indicated that your original post showed an unsafe load. Sorry about that...

NP, it's all good. I miss read his too. :):

Top Bottom