• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    So I'm setting up some new 223 dies on my LnL and had a question. In the instructions they tell you to lower the die down until it touches the shell plate, then move the shell plate down out of the way and turn it in about 1/8 to 1/4 deeper to take out the slack in the cam-over linkage. My question is what level do they count as the shell plate?

This is a picture of a LnL shell plate. Is the uppermost flat plate considered the shell plate? Or does the lower, set-in shelf around the casing count. My small base sizing die won't actually slide through the cut-out to sit against the lower shelf.
    I want to make sure I get the die down far enough to bring the entire case into spec.
    lg_1164060_1.jpg

If you look at other brands of shell holder, I would think the die should go down to the next shelf above the rim of the case. The upper most flat part on this picture, which would equal the lower shelf on the hornady. Anyone have thoughts on this? How do you do it?
    opplanet-hornady-shell-holder-number-1-390541.gif

Last edited:

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    you should be doing this with the sizing die not the seating die. The seating die you will set up for the amount of crimp you want.

You're right. I fat fingered it. I meant the instructions from my small base sizing die and my small base x-die. Good catch. Sounds like I need to figure out why they won't index all the way down into the recessed portion.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I found another thread that goes into detail on this. Sounds like you guys were right about going into the recess. Apparently if the shell plate hits the dies just before the top of the stroke...that's when you have "cam over." I think this all came from me misunderstanding what the cam over was. I'm going to send about 1000 cases back through my full length resize because I will have missed about 1/8" to 1/4" of brass at the bottom. Also that would defeat the purpose of "small base dies." Thanks for the help.

Hornady LNL - Couple of questions - Calguns.net

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    ...and when you're done fixing this little "oops", buy a reloading manual. I am sitting here scratching my head, wondering why in the WORLD someone would be loading for 9mm and 223, when they don't even OWN a reloading manual! The very first thing anybody will tell you about getting started in reloading is to get a manual and read the instructions AT LEAST TWICE.

Good luck to ya...yer gonna need it. ;)

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    ...and when you're done fixing this little "oops", buy a reloading manual. I am sitting here scratching my head, wondering why in the WORLD someone would be loading for 9mm and 223, when they don't even OWN a reloading manual! The very first thing anybody will tell you about getting started in reloading is to get a manual and read the instructions AT LEAST TWICE.

Good luck to ya...yer gonna need it. ;)

Is this the new game we'll be playing? You search for every post I make, poke fun a little bit then tell me multiple times to buy a manual? Sounds like fuN!

Top Bottom