• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    I believe I have seen something similar to this posted here before, but I've searched back several months I can't find the thread. However, this is the most detailed version of building an alcohol stove that I have seen. There are detailed instructions along with pictures and a video.

If you are subscribed to Homesteading Self Sufficiency Survival on Facebook you may have already seen this. To give credit where credit is due, here is their link: http://www.facebook.com/HomesteadingSelfSufficiencySurvival

Homemade Sideburner Hybrid Alcohol Stove « …bike to work to live to bike…

281273_506968582669365_1429228788_n.jpg

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I have the real, commercial version of this with screw-on sealable lid (Trangia alcohol stove). I've also made the pop-can stoves. They are definitely awesome for the price but the Trangias I bought were cheap enough that I can't even mess with making a pop-can stove for what I paid.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I bought one on ebay a few years back for about $2.50 shipped. For that price it wasn't worth me messing with it. Mine came with about 4 pieces including a pan holder, sleeve to adjust the flame, etc. Made from 2 or 3 beer cans if I remember right.

As an aside on the fuel. Look for Denatured Alcohol. You can find it in Walmart with the paint strippers in a blue can. Pretty cheap. It also goes by the name "Mentholated Spirits." It's essentially pure ethanol. You can't sell pure ethanol because people will use it to get drunk, so they put a little bit of methanol in it which makes it poisonous getting them around the laws. I think "Mentholated spirits" is the name more in the UK. I've always seen it as denatured alcohol here in the US. I've found lots of uses for it now that I keep a few cans for the penny stove. I've made ramen with the stove and it works pretty well.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I have made an alcohol stove out of 4 empty .45 cases and a piece of tin foil. Once you understand the basics of what makes alcohol burn adn what makes it burn efficiently you can make a lot things into burners.

My personal favorite is an old Velamints tin because it fits in an esbit stove when folded up. Altoid tins do not. Teh combo of the tin, esbit stove and another modification I did make it about the best I have used or made for just boiling water. Alcohol burns so hot that is what you really use it for. It will scorch food or solids in a pan. Rocks on boiling water or cajun style cooking where you blacken the food, like fish. Especially in the Trangia cooking kits. Swedish or East German kits maybe?

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I like my fancy feast stoves, for smaller pots. Hole punch, empty cat can, denatured alcohol. Simple and cheap, I think they are called supercat stoves.

SecondAmendment

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    This is a great survival idea. Easy to manufacture from common items. Fuel is dual use: cook your food or get you feelin good....

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I liked the ones made out of aluminum Budweiser bottles the most.

They are nice to have if you are backpacking and want coffee before you move out without building a fire, and kids usually think they are fun when camping.

Top Bottom