• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    For home defense? However many fit in the tube and in the secondary, so... that 5 in the tube plus 6 in my .45. I keep roughly 100 rounds for each of my guns on hand at any given time.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    For strictly home protection or carry use, I generally buy it by 500 round lots. This affords us to run a good 100 thru the carry weapon to try out and also we can dump off a few mags a few times a year. Other than that, we choose to spend the rest on bulk reloading components for range use.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Handgun stuff I run in roughly 3:1 with my rifle/shotgun ammo: 3 rifle rounds to 1 handgun round.

Now, each individual's idea of home defense is different, usually in magnitude and longevity of the trouble.

dhdoug

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    hancock county
    i would think this will vary ALOT with the difference being in good old fashioned stockpile vs just for home defense. seems that if you NEED more than ....i dunno..hundered rnds per firearm, you are into some real shtf scenario( or a branch davidian....sorry). i dont wanna call any home invasion or self/family defense routine, but the type that normally is reported would not call for the amount of rounds that most INGOers, myself included, keep at hand. huge amount of variables in there or maybe i just read to much into it :)

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    When I buy Ammo I buy at least two boxes. For every two that go into storage, one comes out to be used for practice. Do this and over time you will build up a nice little stockpile.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I keep at least 1k of each caliber I have a weapon for except for the .380 because that's only a daily carry when it needs to be. I keep 400-500 of that.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I know that 500 rounds of good self defense ammo sounds like a lot, but it sure goes quick ! Especially if you have (2) guns that share it. In our case, both the wife and myself have G19's... If I buy 500 Gold Dot's or HST's, I feel we both have to run 100 thru each gun
    to be sure of functioning. Also, if we both rotate our carry ammo by running 2-3 mags thru each weapon a couple times a year in addition to our regular range ammo, this initial stockpile of 500 rounds will be gone in 2-3 years.

FWIW OP, Ammo To Go has federal HST's by the 500 RD case for 245.00 for the 147 gr 9mm, and also 239.95 for .40 S&W in your choice of 155gr, 165gr, or 180 gr weights... :D

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    How many rounds would you recomend to keep in the house per weapon for home protection?

I generally keep 5 round for every person within a .5 mile radius of my base of operations. Who knows how many will be zombies or just piles of zombie left overs. The add 1 round for every 5 people for the next 5 mile radius. I plan on most of them fleeing when the zombies show up or if they've turned heading in the other direction toward a more populated area for a larger flesh buffet. Lastly I factor in 1 round for every 20 people located along 1 of 3 routes I have plotted for 2 possible bug out locations.

This is for zombies... For local "bad guy" threats. I keep enough to continually shoot for a time determining by the avg (plus 5 minutes). response time of law enforcement.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    In the past I only kept one or two boxes of HP and when needed went to get FMJ for range use, after seen what happen this couple of years I decided that I will not be at the mercy of other people so when I found good deals I just got as much I could because price will never go down.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    In all seriousness. What types of threats are you "stockpiling" for? Ammo in boxes does not do any good during a gun fight. We won't take time out for you to load mags. I generally keep mags loaded in my night stand gun and one 33rd one near the bed. I can find at least 2 more on my rig. 2 in my "bug out bag" etc. You get the idea. I keep about 250 rounds of my HP load in a can, but always keep a good supply in mags.. I shoot at least one mag of HP ammo every two weeks to cycle my mags and stay sharp... In total I keep about 8 pistol mags loaded at all times and 2 are sometimes empties. I also have about 10 more mags in my range ammo box.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I don't fire a lot of high priced HP's. I use the 100 round packs of remington you can buy at WW for not much more than the cost of the FMJ's.

I do fire off my carry magazines every few months though.

As far as keeping for "home protection stock pile"... hmmm I keep most of mine in ammo cans in the basement, lol. Gotta traverse 2 floors to get to it ;)

As far as for immediate use? A few spare handgun mags (16 round XD9) and in the bedroom safe is a shotgun w/ a 25 round bandoleer of 00 buck and a couple boxes of ammo for it plus an AK with a few 40 rounders.

It's going to be one heck of ride should I and the wife run out of all that.

As far as how much ammo in total to keep "stock piled", ammo has out preformed every other investment around, be it the DOW, Google, gold, silver, any of the mutual funds, everything.

Whatever you buy is money in the bank IMO. Store them in sealed containers and they'll be good for decades.

FYI I'm shooting 8mm mauser ammo manufactured in the 1940's! I might get one out of 200 rounds that are duds. This ammo was stored on stripper clips, in bandoleers, in a wooden crate until I got it. That was 60 years of storage completely exposed to the humidity around it. I'm sure it came over by boat and sat on the customs docks for a few months as well.

Ammo cans, cabelas dry boxes, whatever. It'll be just as good as the day you bought when your kids need it.

8baller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    How many rounds would you recomend to keep in the house per weapon for home protection?

my thoughts are as much as you can afford ..before the liberals put more taxation on us simple folk !!..might be too expensive in the long run

patandhisruger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    ...depends on how many zombies you think you will encounter during the end of days...i have just over 85 hps (50 hydras and 25 or so golden sabers 124g +p), and 30 of those in are in the mags at all times...I try to keep my zombie killin' rounds (various fmj's, lately they have all been Federal 115gs due to the cheap prices) around 500 at all times...just remember YOU GOTTA SHOOT EM IN THE BRAIN, OTHERWISE YOU'RE JUST WASTING BULLETS!........hope this helped...

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    For my pistols I like to have at least four magazines per gun. I will keep three loaded at all times. One I will use for a range mag. I do not keep the guns in my safe loaded. I just keep a fully loaded mag inserted in them. As for rounds. I have three hundred and fifty rounds of JHP's for both my 9mm's and my .40. As for range ammo. I normally buy one box of 9mm and .40 per week. Unless I find a good buy on bulk. Whenever you buy any hollow points. If you happen to buy a different brand then you already have test fired. Make sure you run some through your guns to make sure they function properly. Practice is very key. The more you shoot the better you will become. You create muscle memory which is a key tool in a self defense situation.

paintball_addiction

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    180   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    SW of Indy
    I generally keep 5 round for every person within a .5 mile radius of my base of operations. Who knows how many will be zombies or just piles of zombie left overs. The add 1 round for every 5 people for the next 5 mile radius. I plan on most of them fleeing when the zombies show up or if they've turned heading in the other direction toward a more populated area for a larger flesh buffet. Lastly I factor in 1 round for every 20 people located along 1 of 3 routes I have plotted for 2 possible bug out locations.

This is for zombies... For local "bad guy" threats. I keep enough to continually shoot for a time determining by the avg (plus 5 minutes). response time of law enforcement.

I concur with this. You might even want to double it just to be sure.

Seriously though, I'd stock however much you can and want to stock. And I agree that not having the ammo loaded in mags isn't going to do much good. Buy a couple extra mags and have them loaded. Extra mags are always useful at the range as well. Now I just need to start practicing what I preach...

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Strictly for home protection? A full load in the gun/s, and a reload for each.

I keep more than that on hand, but that's what is readily accessible for a home defense scenario.

Top Bottom