• ...and so much more!
  • derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    We've had Protect America (another DIY system with the Simon XT panel) for the past two years and have been very happy. The system was a breeze to install and the customer service / monitoring team are really easy to work with.

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    Anybody have a recommendation on a cheap system for a 2 car detached garage? I am just looking for something basic that is not monitored, but would have an alarm. It needs to be separate from my home system.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Anybody have a recommendation on a cheap system for a 2 car detached garage? I am just looking for something basic that is not monitored, but would have an alarm. It needs to be separate from my home system.

Pair of magnetic contacts.
    120db siren.
    12vdc power supply.
    Connect so siren is powered when door is opened.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've had 2 bullmastiffs and no break ins. They have this instinct to know the property lines and guard them. Even stopping cars trying to come up the drive, its really neat. Plus they are great with kids!

Cottong2001

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Down the road a piece...
    I installed a Visonic system in our home. It was the only system that had the following features that were a must for me:

Wireless, Internet capable, GSM capable AND could be self monitored AND monitored by a 3rd party. Tons of options for fire, CO2, flood, motion, X10, video, etc. I installed myself and really like it. Bought it through www.Homesecuritystore.com. There are lots of options for monitoring companies.

Last edited:

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    We've had front point security for years now and recently moved to a new house and are re-evaluating our needs. Good thread with lots of helpful info. Trying to avoid $40+/month recurring fees here. Did recently invest in an Insteon kit for light management and might try and get a security system integrated into that.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    SimpliSafe's monitoring plans range from $14.99/mo to 24.99/mo with no contract; cancel anytime.

--Bill

Thanks for the info, they seem to have the best initial $$$ outlay to monthly monitoring fees out there. I want a cellular connection as it's too easy to cut the cable line and break into a home.

XDream9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Avon
    I installed all of my own equipment. Purchased from A&E Security online. I have AlarmRelay for my monitoring service. They had me on the phone in seconds after a couple of false alarms. (also monitoring is under $10 a month)

Randy

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I have One Touch Security Plus with window/broken glass, doors, garage doors, fire/smoke, 2 cams and motion sensors - 16.99 a month - they call within 10 seconds of alarm and if you or someone doesn't answer in 10 seconds they call 911 - if the caller answers with the wrong answer they call 911 - it also has a 200db siren that a neighbor @ 3/4 can hear clearly - switched from adt because of the monitoring rates but I highly suggest either - my 2 80lb pitbulls aren't bad deturants either :D

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    I have a setup with ADT and i'm struggling with the monthly cost. We pay too much and I know I could go with another service for cheaper, but I was thinking about one of the self-monitored systems. If you look at the $15-40 dollar per month charge versus buying several hundred dollars of equipment and self-monitoring, the system pays for itself in about a year. Plus, what is the first thing that the monitoring services do when your alarm goes off? They call you, not the police, which is the same thing a self-monitoring system does.

Has anybody had success with those? A couple I have seen use your internet to send you emails/texts/calls when a trigger occurs. The downside is that my internet is from cable which is exposed in the backyard, so a clever thief could cut that cord. Some systems come with GSM chips, but I'm not sure if the cost of getting a GSM to call me washes the whole point of saving a few bucks over the monitoring services.

I saw an article about this group (Scout) which is starting a company that only has self-monitoring equipment with nice iPad/iPhone apps, etc. Any thoughts?

XDream9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Avon
    GoDawgs... I have been checking into the same thing and this is what I have ran in to so far.

GSM unit added on to the system = $$$$$$$ (AlarmRelay is only 8.95 a month)

Be careful with the over the internet notifications, I have DSL service/internet so I don't know that much about cable internet, but if the power goes out and the router is not working it can not notify you.

I'm sure there has to be a self notification solution that is cost effective but I have not run in to it yet. At least not for my case.

Randy

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    GoDawgs... I have been checking into the same thing and this is what I have ran in to so far.

GSM unit added on to the system = $$$$$$$ (AlarmRelay is only 8.95 a month)

Be careful with the over the internet notifications, I have DSL service/internet so I don't know that much about cable internet, but if the power goes out and the router is not working it can not notify you.

I'm sure there has to be a self notification solution that is cost effective but I have not run in to it yet. At least not for my case.

Randy

I wouldn't trust any phone or internet connected security system due to the ease of cutting the cable outside your home. A cellular based device would be better for this provided it has a battery backup.

XDream9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Avon
    Mad Macs I agree with cellular being the most secure, but the cost of adding a GSM unit to my existing system and then paying a $20 monthly fee to a cellular carrier for it to be able to call me is not cost effective for me right now. On top of that if you wanted it monitored by a Central Station they charge more monthly for cellular service.

Just my perspective.

Randy

Top Bottom