• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    Well I am glad to hear all the feedback. Though I was a little surprised to not see anyone mentioned cost being a factor. I am all for the best round to do the job and keep leos and military safe, regardless of the cost but I'm surprised to see that does not seem to be a factor. My guess is that funding is most likely sufficient in many cases to compensate for any difference in cost that jhp may create.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Actually used them on an enemy in combat, or as a utility tool?

:): Agreed! :):

As a further question for anyone with knowledge on the subject: What type of ammo do LEOs use in AR's if their department allows them to have one in their vehicle? Personal choice or is there some type of restriction?

It varies from agency to agency. Most of the local agencies around here issue patrol rifles and ammo. Almost all use either Hornady TAP LE, which is the non-moly coated stuff, or Federal Bonded which is better on barrier penetration. Some also issue a mag or two of green-tip in addition to the TAP as the TAP doesn't do terribly well against barriers.

Best,

Joe

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The Closest you will find is In the Hague Convention;
    Section II, Chapter 1, Art 23, (e) [FONT=&quot]To employ arms, projectiles, or material calculated to cause unnecessary suffering;
    [/FONT]and as you noted it is, vague. ;)
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

And the only reason that this is in there is because the Germans had a propaganda field day lamenting how the British were mercilessly maiming the poor Mahdists during the Battle of Omdurman with "Dum-Dum" bullets. The U.S. did not support this section as we were using them in the Phillipines

ajiarcher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    When I was in the military I was told it was banned, ball ammo is supposed to leave a cleaner exit wound in most cases, the original 5.56 and russian 5.54 may get around that because of bullet weight and velocity. The 5.54 has a long projectile that is supposed to collapse at the nose causeing the bullet to surf through soft tissue eratically, that round is used in the ak74.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    And the only reason that this is in there is because the Germans had a propaganda field day lamenting how the British were mercilessly maiming the poor Mahdists during the Battle of Omdurman with "Dum-Dum" bullets. The U.S. did not support this section as we were using them in the Phillipines

Yup, although I believe we are signatories to Declaration III of the Hague of 1899 which specifically addresses the bullets but makes no mention of blades.

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/dec99-03.asp

The Contracting Parties agree to abstain from the use of bullets which expand or flatten easily in the human body, such as bullets with a hard envelope which does not entirely cover the core, or is pierced with incisions.

The present Declaration is only binding for the Contracting Powers in the case of a war between two or more of them.

It shall cease to be binding from the time when, in a war between the Contracting Parties, one of the belligerents is joined by a non-Contracting Power.

Notably, I don't believe there is anyone we are currently in hostilities with who is also a signatory so we are not bound by it in any of our current excursions. IMO, we abide by it, even though we are not bound, primarily for PR purposes.

Best,

Joe

Top Bottom