• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    Are we all crazy enough that we have bought up EVERY ROUND of ammo? I've even looked at the on-line suppliers... None to be found. At least in 9mm.

Can the manufacturers not keep up? I don't get it.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    This is ridiculous. I am seriously considering selling my Bersa .380 to buy a 9mm just so I can actually GET ammo. I have self defense ammo, but I need to practice. ugh

Someone made me an offer to sell a couple boxes of 380, and I declined because I thought it was too high. I shoulda just bought it :xmad:

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Demand outstripped supply? I think not. Ammo manufacturing is still a component process. Primers, powder, bullets, casing etc.
    Notice how ALL components are in short to non existent supply. Private consumer demand has not created this shortage and neither has a war being fought in two distinct theaters.
    When Russian manufacturers like Wolf receive DOD contracts to "supply our troops" overseas it helps choke out the private market from alternative sources. We can discuss foreign manufacturers providing ammo for our troops some other time. Our domestic supply chain is being choked and traditional alternative type sources are being cut off by financial manipulation.

We still have an endless supply of cigs and beer cans folks. The consumption of these good is at a heckuva higher rate than ammo by people like us on these boards. There is a lot more that goes into the making of a smoke or a canned beer than a .45 cal bullet.

Outside Market influence via DOD contracts with manufacturing stipulations involved will be answer that comes to light -- hope I am wrong but wait and see.....

Are we really to believe that when over 600K people are losing their jobs month by month that the ammo manufacturers can't keep up due to demand? They are making factory grade ammo. It is not precision machined equipment nor is it a product with numerous components that require state of the art technology to assemble.

Hose job courtesy of Uncle Sugar....wait and see.....

Last edited:

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    :horse:

Think about it, I have bought at least 30,000 more rounds of ammo since Dec then I did all of last year.

How many have you bought, how many more guns have been sold then in a normal year.

Why would a manufactur invest in new machines if they think that this crazy demand will settle down in a year or so and do you think that the equipment is just sittng around ready to be installed, no it is custom stuff that would have to be ordered and built.

If anyone has any proof that the Gov is behind this then PLEASE post it so this kind of thread will go away.

my :twocents:

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    I am not claiming a government collusion that is intentional. I am claiming that the supply side has been choked at the same time the demand has gone WAY up.
    Yes, I believe the government is responsible for interfering in the marketplace beyond arms length dealings thereby creating this problem but no I do not believe there is some shadow govt agenda. It would take way too much efficiency and competency on behalf of gov't to achieve.

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hey, it must be stealth Obama strategy.....Yeah, that's the ticket! Feds buy up all the ammo so there's none left for the public. No more gun violence!

pdg45acp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Kokomo
    I talked to the guy behind the gun counter at Dunhams in kokomo. He said that some guy is coming in and buying all their 7.62x39 when they get their ammo delivery/allocation.

I think I know who it is.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I agree...most ammo is hard to find, and if you find some you will pay dearly for it. As for me I'm not going to run around town trying to find ammo and pay inflated prices for it. 7.62x25 is available online and so is lots of 7.62x 54R so, I will change what I shoot. At least for the time being.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    On second thought, I have 2 muzzle loader I bought new years ago and never fired....maybe it's time to try them out. Lots of dirty fun. I even casted my own bullets at the time.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    To paraphrase Fat Freddie in the old "Freak Brothers" comics: "Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo."

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute

Think about it, I have bought at least 30,000 more rounds of ammo since Dec then I did all of last year.

How many have you bought, how many more guns have been sold then in a normal year.

Why would a manufactur invest in new machines if they think that this crazy demand will settle down in a year or so and do you think that the equipment is just sittng around ready to be installed, no it is custom stuff that would have to be ordered and built.

If anyone has any proof that the Gov is behind this then PLEASE post it so this kind of thread will go away.

You have bought 30 THOUSAND rounds in the past five months!! Sheesh, i would think you would be the first to jump on the conspiracy bandwagon!!:D

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute

You have bought at least 30 THOUSAND rounds in the past five months!! Sheesh, I would think you would be the first to jump on the conspiracy bandwagon!!:D

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I don't have near enough 357 ammo and that has me concerned. Therefore my supply of wadcutters will have to do as defense ammo when I run out of the rest. I would not want to be hit with a wadcutter. Has anyone seen a wadcutter wound?

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN

Correct. I've bought so much more than normal over just the past 4 months. When you add the new hordes of 'newbs' who will buy at what price they think is 'normal', then you get that much more demand.

ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    its a game started by harley davidson.it dont work for harley,but its working for ammo and guns.remember how you had to wait for months for a harley.i did three times.they were sitting in a wharehouse somewhere,so the next guy could wait for his.president is helping this time.you thought i didnt know,didnt ya

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    Ashkelon,

Please forgive my ignorance but I am having difficulty following your reasoning. Please break down or operationalize how exactly our govenment's actions reduce the available supply of ammunition and ammunition making components.

Seriously, I am not being argumentative. I am really dim enough to not follow your argument/reasoning.

Top Bottom