• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It's not normal to have a total solar eclipse. The last one in Indiana was August 7, 1869.

And of course, visible astronomical events generally happen at night. And absolutely none of them rival a total solar eclipse.
    It depends on the area one is counting. 1205 for Indy

1712629843127.jpeg

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Can anyone clarify what it is, exactly, that we're all supposed to be afraid of today? Scared to the point of declaring an emergency and telling people to stay home (restricting the ability to move about freely).

Or is this just playing on the fear of what could possibly happen and the fear of the unknown?

Wait. This sounds familiar. #CovidResponse
    FEAR.. that what the .gov wants.. let me take my tin foil hat off, media and on and on. Look back how people really acted or behaved prior to the crap that gets attention. Heck most people 20 years ago would have called them out for the antics, now its just attention grabbing lets use it to spread the fear/dependency on someone else.. my .02 cents worth.. there is more but most have already expressed it and its beating a dead horse, plus most folks here agree in some way or another with this general reply.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I think Get over it was played on that tour and I agree with the lyrics whole heartedly.. especially " I am going to find your inner child and kicks its little ASz.. hehe..
    It was a good show, the sad part was, waiting almost an extra year over deer creek being canceled with Frey getting sick.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Were you born this way, or did something happen to you?

:):
    I'm confused. Maybe that, in itself, is part of the problem. What I have done here is express an opinion. It happens to not coincide with the majority opinion. The part I can't wrap my head around is why my opinion is somehow wrong, while the majority opinion is the one everyone SHOULD have. This smacks so much of American politics for the last 20 years or that it bothers me, more than a bit. A few folks have replied, "Whatever, not everyone likes everything." I don't mind if someone thinks the eclipse is the greatest thing since moving out of caves. Why is it not OK if I think the eclipse is the sensory equivalent of watching paint dry?

A member here has a signature line (paraphrasing): Liberals claim to invite a variety of opinions, then are completely aghast to discover there actually are different opinions. That is what I feel like here. And yes, I believe I was born this way: Able to form an opinion, while simultaneously realizing others are free to agree or disagree with said opinion. I can't stand olives. I really like the smell of skunk. I am afraid of water over my head. Peanut butter is one of the world's greatest foods. Feel free to agree, or not.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm confused. Maybe that, in itself, is part of the problem. What I have done here is express an opinion. It happens to not coincide with the majority opinion. The part I can't wrap my head around is why my opinion is somehow wrong, while the majority opinion is the one everyone SHOULD have. This smacks so much of American politics for the last 20 years or that it bothers me, more than a bit. A few folks have replied, "Whatever, not everyone likes everything." I don't mind if someone thinks the eclipse is the greatest thing since moving out of caves. Why is it not OK if I think the eclipse is the sensory equivalent of watching paint dry?

A member here has a signature line (paraphrasing): Liberals claim to invite a variety of opinions, then are completely aghast to discover there actually are different opinions. That is what I feel like here. And yes, I believe I was born this way: Able to form an opinion, while simultaneously realizing others are free to agree or disagree with said opinion. I can't stand olives. I really like the smell of skunk. I am afraid of water over my head. Peanut butter is one of the world's greatest foods. Feel free to agree, or not.
    Did you have totality up there? I'm thinking you didn't, being that far north. If you didn't, then you really didn't get the full experience.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    No. No totality in Elkhart. Almost afraid to say this, but more nothing is still nothing. While I believe watching a random celestial event to be less than stimulating, I can appreciate the difficulty of doing this: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1853562?b=2
    This person has turned that event into a work of art. That, I like.
    Without totality, then I can understand being underwhelmed. Totality was unlike anything I've ever experienced, nor will I experience it again in my lifetime.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Both my son and I hung out for a half hour to watch it get dim then dark, sharing my welding helmet to see the event. A group of 12 turkey vultures were flying during that time, not sure if that was related to the eclipse.

Once it reached totality it was an amazing experience. Birds were quiet, noticeable temp drop. Was interesting watching the neighborhood kids in awe of the experience. They didn’t appreciate the joke I made “so which one of you do we sacrifice to get the sun back” though their parents did.

Glad I didn’t have to travel to see it. Though estimates seemed overblown, there was bumper to bumper traffic on several routes till past 10pm.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Watched it at the daughter's house in Bloomington with the tiny terrorists, age 2-1/2 and 4.

They were intermittently interested when they weren't catching bugs, wrestling, or sending cars down their slide. About every 10 minutes one would run up and ask to see the moon. They are big fans of the moon for some reason.

And like most other wild animals, the 4 minutes of totality really shut them up. Might be the longest I've ever seen them motionless and silent.

Left at 6, home at 9:04. Only 6 minutes off my record pace. Traffic was a nothingburger. I had planned to go the back way but google didn't show any major slowdowns going 69-465-31. It wasn't wrong.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I'm glad I saw it, but I certainly wouldn't drive hours to go see it again. Buzzards started circling to roost where I was and squirrels for some reason seemed to be going crazy. They were running around on the ground digging for nuts I assume.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Have a friend that came from Bloomington Illinois to Danville Illinois on I-74 yesterday evening. Eastbound traffic was light but westbound lanes were full and because of construction causing one lane to be closed was stopped in places. I crossed I-74 on an overpass around 10:00 PM where it was one lane and it was still barely moving. Jim.

Top Bottom