• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    My 2-cents on the solar eclipse. If you are lucky enough to be/live in the totality zone, you will get about 4 minutes of weird darkness. I don't see the attraction. Pretty much everywhere I've been on this planet, it gets dark every night. BFD.
    But you also get a rare glimpse of the sun’s corona live. Something most people will never see with their naked eyes in their lifetimes.

I’m guessing there will be many in the scientific community using high-speed high resolution video cameras to record this as it is a rare and unique opportunity. But no video can convey the true glory of seeing it with your eyes.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Having seen this a time or two, it is way different than night.
    So is being north of the Arctic circle in the summer. Do people flock to the north slope and pay quite ridiculous hotel/food/rental prices just to see a natural occurring process? I do have things I get excited about. The celestial equivalent of watching a tree grow is just not on my list. Some people want to go see the Titanic in person, some people will watch it on the History Channel. Different strokes, and all that.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My 2-cents on the solar eclipse. If you are lucky enough to be/live in the totality zone, you will get about 4 minutes of weird darkness. I don't see the attraction. Pretty much everywhere I've been on this planet, it gets dark every night. BFD.
    You sound like the guy I work with who describes the Grand Canyon as, 'a big f**kin hole in the ground'. :D

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Do people flock to the north slope and pay quite ridiculous hotel/food/rental prices just to see a natural occurring process?
    Yes. All the time. Hopefully I’ll get to see the northern lights one day. And the volcano in Hawaii.

I do have things I get excited about.
    I know someone just like you. I’m guessing a sale at Rural King or finding a box fan in the trash that still works.

:):

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Spoken like someone who has never seen an eclipse. I hope we have good weather for you to see it.

Meh. Ive had a hamburger. I dont see what the big deal is about Wagyu steak. BFD
    I can get that it's some people's thing. It's just not my thing (both the eclipse and the Wagyu steak thing)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I can get that it's some people's thing. It's just not my thing (both the eclipse and the Wagyu steak thing)
    My main point was in reference to "it gets dark here every day. I see dark every day. Same diff." No. No its not. They may both be meat, but are totally different. You cant say you've had one and so you've had both.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    So is being north of the Arctic circle in the summer. Do people flock to the north slope and pay quite ridiculous hotel/food/rental prices just to see a natural occurring process? I do have things I get excited about. The celestial equivalent of watching a tree grow is just not on my list. Some people want to go see the Titanic in person, some people will watch it on the History Channel. Different strokes, and all that.
    yes, people do. I am planning to at some point.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Yes. All the time. Hopefully I’ll get to see the northern lights one day. And the volcano in Hawaii.

I know someone just like you. I’m guessing a sale at Rural King or finding a box fan in the trash that still works.

:):
    True story, we got to the big island 11 days after the volcano STOPPED flowing.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    You sound like the guy I work with who describes the Grand Canyon as, 'a big f**kin hole in the ground'. :D
    I've known a lot like that. Can't understand why I'd hop in a car for 15 hours to go see something and then turn around and drive back. Anyone can watch tv and think they've experienced it. It's another thing to GO EXPERIENCE IT.

There's so many things that I am thankful that I got the chance to see and experience that don't exist anymore other than a few 110 photos and my memory. With any luck we may get to knock another continent off the bucket list soon.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've known a lot like that. Can't understand why I'd hop in a car for 15 hours to go see something and then turn around and drive back. Anyone can watch tv and think they've experienced it. It's another thing to GO EXPERIENCE IT.

There's so many things that I am thankful that I got the chance to see and experience that don't exist anymore other than a few 110 photos and my memory. With any luck we may get to knock another continent off the bucket list soon.
    Several years ago, me and my wife went to Vegas, and had arranged for a rental car so we could spend a day driving around seeing the sights.

One of the places we decided to go was Hoover dam. Sure, I’d seen pictures of it and seen it on tv, and I had already prepared myself to be underwhelmed, figuring it would be cool to see, just not THAT cool.

OH MY GOD! It was way more impressive than seeing pictures or tv images! I don’t know if I’ve ever been more impressed by seeing something like that in person!

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I've known a lot like that. Can't understand why I'd hop in a car for 15 hours to go see something and then turn around and drive back. Anyone can watch tv and think they've experienced it. It's another thing to GO EXPERIENCE IT...
    I used to be more like that. I didn't want to travel any distance for anything if it wasn't super easy and hassle free.

Then the kids moved away. The daughter gave us three grandsons. Suddenly I didn't bat an eye about a 10 hour drive to Virginia or KC, or a flight to California. Even a drive from Cali to Indiana and back wasn't such a big deal.

This led me to the shocking discovery that this country, especially out west, is downright spectacular. I mean, there are two holer, pit toilet, no running water, rest areas on I-70 in Utah with some of the most amazing views in North America.

There are things, places, and events that no pics or video will ever do justice.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I am glad, as Dirty Harry said, that people know their limitations, no need for those that cannot taste the difference to run the prices up for those that can…
    I can taste the difference. I can also afford it. It's just not high on my list.

I can also afford multi thousand $$ firearms for example. I currently just don't have it on my list to purchase.

I can appreciate these things for what they are, and don't in any way say they should not exist or others should not obtain them. I'm just not personally interested in the trade off of the additional $/effort, etc to chase the diminishing return on those things.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Several years ago, me and my wife went to Vegas, and had arranged for a rental car so we could spend a day driving around seeing the sights.

One of the places we decided to go was Hoover dam. Sure, I’d seen pictures of it and seen it on tv, and I had already prepared myself to be underwhelmed, figuring it would be cool to see, just not THAT cool.

OH MY GOD! It was way more impressive than seeing pictures or tv images! I don’t know if I’ve ever been more impressed by seeing something like that in person!
    This is something I'd be interested in seeing actually.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    This is something I'd be interested in seeing actually.
    It's well worth it. As is going to Grand Canyon West.

One of the many times I've been to Vegas for work, I rented a car and stayed an extra day. Did the Hoover Dam the day I arrived and GCW the day of my departure. It was roughly $400 for the helicopter ride into the canyon, boat ride on the Colorado River, and the walk on the glass bottom walkway that extends over the canyon rim.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

One of the many times I've been to Vegas for work, I rented a car and stayed an extra day. Did the Hoover Dam the day I arrived and GCW the day of my departure. It was roughly $400 for the helicopter ride into the canyon, boat ride on the Colorado River, and the walk on the glass bottom walkway that extends over the canyon rim.
    I need to get better about some of that when I have to travel for work (I've been to plenty of places but only saw the conference room, etc I was in, because I just wanted to get back to my family as soon as I could). Since the pandemic work travel pretty much stopped. I only traveled a couple of times a year or so anyway.

I do have a work trip coming up this month and I did tack on a couple of days as it's in the same city that my son lives in.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

I did something similar when I went to Round Rock, TX for training. Did the drive down to San Antonio to see the Alamo. It was cool. And MUCH smaller than I imagined. Still cool as hell.

Never did find the basement.

Top Bottom