• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Hadn't seen any notice of this on the board, but HK has announced their civy version of the HK416. Predicted release is late 2009. It will come in both 5.56 and 7.62. The big discussion on the hk forums is that German law will not allow the MR556 uppers and lowers to be compatable with the 416 (and therefore any other AR upper or lower). I'm not an expert on the legal aspects of this, but from skimming through the forums, there appears to be some post WW2 aspects of the German consitution that prohibit arms manufacturers from selling "weapons of war" to civilians (since HK sells full auto 416's to military, anything compatable with such would also be a "weapon of war" - so the civy MR556 must be none compatable). Damn Nazi's.

MR556 (from hk-usa.com)
    mr556_lg.jpg

MR762 (from hk-usa.com)
    mr762_lg.jpg

link to hkpro forum
    MR556 and MR762 up on HK's website! - Page 23 - HKPRO Forums

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    The upper will not be compatable with other lowers. Price is around $3,000 to $3,500. I will own one...

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I wonder if that's truly the case. You can take a USC and make it full auto by using UMP parts. I wonder what the difference is?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I think I just remembered why I hate HK. FN here I come!!

Better hope you never need parts... :xmad:

IMO, that's the biggest problem with these new whiz-bang, single-source designs. The AR and AK platforms aren't perfect, but there's a TON of them out there, they're easy to work on, and parts are everywhere.

What happens when you break something on your FS2000, SCAR, SIG556, TPD AXR, HK MR556 or Robinson XCR? You're at the mercy of the manufacturer. FN and SIG-Sauer flat-out refuse to sell spare parts for their rifles. HK is the same way, even with LE agencies!

I appreciate that companies are attempting to bring new designs to market. This is a good thing. But they need to support those designs by making parts available, as well.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Better hope you never need parts... :xmad:

What happens when you break something on your FS2000, SCAR, SIG556, TPD AXR, HK MR556 or Robinson XCR? You're at the mercy of the manufacturer. FN and SIG-Sauer flat-out refuse to sell spare parts for their rifles. HK is the same way, even with LE agencies!

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey now, if anything breaks on an xcr they are more than happy to sell you parts but more than likely they will fix it for free.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    if anything breaks on an xcr they are more than happy to sell you parts but more than likely they will fix it for free.

Tell that to my buddy with an older M96 that was shooting bursts due to an acknowledged design flaw in the trigger group. He inquired about sending the gun in to get the redesigned (current spec) parts installed, and RA wanted to charge him for the privilege...

Plus, if RA ever goes out of business, owners will be up a creek. RA may not be as bad as FN or HK when it comes to selling parts, but they are still the sole source, which is a limitation for the end user.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Tell that to my buddy with an older M96 that was shooting bursts due to an acknowledged design flaw in the trigger group. He inquired about sending the gun in to get the redesigned (current spec) parts installed, and RA wanted to charge him for the privilege...

Plus, if RA ever goes out of business, owners will be up a creek. RA may not be as bad as FN or HK when it comes to selling parts, but they are still the sole source, which is a limitation for the end user.

well I don't own an m96 but understand there have been flaws throughout that whole evolution. as far as xcr's go they have always been more than willing to do anything for me. also I give RA a little more patience on things(not that I have had to) because they are a VERY small company I think between 8-10 people trying to compete with corporations like HK and FN. but thats my experience, I'm sorry your buddy didn't fair as well.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom