• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    I'm not sure if this is the proper forum, but can anyone knowledgeable in the area vet some of this info?

Reddit, I think there is a giant (nuclear) coverup afoot. : politics

and here from the private monitor: Message

They issued a "false alarm/equipment malfunction" message afterwards, but according to the reddit article, the Ft. Wayne monitor had similar data, and was NOT malfunctioning.

It's weird, even if it's a hoax or false alarm. Makes you wonder if the "gub'mint" would actually tell you if you were being blasted with high levels of radiation....

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I'm in South Bend and work with radiation and dosimetry on a daily basis. All normal.

I'll be back in a bit, I gotta go feed the three eyed fishes...

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    but...but...but...you're not in South Bend! :D

Yep, but I was addressing the larger issue. I'd be concerned if there was any significant rise above background. I have one alarm that is set to go off automatically if levels rise to 4x background, and a couple of other meters I can use that are stored. I'm not quite downwind from Crane, but could be in the right weather pattern.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    From what I understand, the rumor started with a guy that posts radiation levels across the country. Somewhere along the line, his telemetry got screwed up and started reported higher levels. EPA and others looked at the local instrumentation and everything is normal background level.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    their monitoring data stops at May 19th..they either haven't released new data, or haven't collected it yet.

Yeah, I noticed that, too. And I can't figure out why.

I know that the station here in Indy isn't a real-time monitor anyhow. The filters undergo an initial count (Alpha, Beta, and Alpha/Beta) in Indy, then the filters are shipped in every 96-ish hours to an EPA certified lab where they're re-counted. (This roughly equates to two filters / week) I have no idea what happens to the data from that point.

-J-

Top Bottom