• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scoutmom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    Hi researching for first handgun purchase. What's a good price for a used 9MM Sig. Sauer P226 or a Glock 26?

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Just curious, have you shot either of these at a range?

Those are two disparate choices, in terms of price, ergonomics, weight, size, capacity, etc..

About all they have in common might be the round for which they're chambered, and the basic region of Europe from which they sprang.

justknapping

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    Nashville
    I carry a 226 daily at work 12 hr shifts, off duty it's a pain, large gun heavy and hard to conceal unless you plan ahead a little. I don't know much about the glock but they are much smaller/lighter than the Sig FWIW.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    "A poorly thought out question?"

Way to go, that will really bring newbies into the fold. Ask a simple damn question and get guff from almost everyone. There was no mention of what the reasoning was behind the purchase, only a simple request for information.

Look to pay between $450--$700. Maybe less, maybe more, but that is a fair ballpark--$700 is really topping out on the high end of things, but they are out there. Congratulations on the decision to purchase a handgun. If you have any questions, drop me a line, I am happy to offer any insight (limited though I admit it is) into world of gun ownership.

Boz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Muncie
    $400 to $450 for a used Glock 26 or 27. $450-$600 for a used Sig 226 (for a standard model, the specialty models will be more).

These guns really are designed for completely different purposes.

A G26/G27 is a concealed carry gun. A 226 is a full sized "duty" type gun.

I am a big guy and can conceal a 226 well. But a G26/G27/G33 are MUCH more concealable.

Ideally, I like a mid sized gun that strikes a balance between the two.

This would mean a G19 (9mm), G23 (.40 S&W), or G32 (.357 Sig) for Glock and a P225/P228/P229 for Sig. P225 and P228 are in 9mm only. A P229 can be had in 9mm, .40 and .357 Sig.

Glocks are a lot more on the "maintenance free" side of the fence. You can run them dry (not recommended - but it won't cause any major damage). They are also a lot more corrosion resistant than a Sig. A Sig will be more inherently accurate. Sigs do, however, require more care and attention in terms of maintenance. Older blued Sigs need to be kept lubricated to prevent rust. Newer Nitron finished Sigs are less prone to rust, but Glocks WON'T rust due to the Tenifer finish). Also, because of the steel slide/aluminum frame, Sigs must have their rails lubed to prevent excessive wear on the aluminum slide rails. Personally, I use a good synthetic gun-grade grease on the slide rails. I really like Brian Enos's Slide Glide for that application.

IMO, any Sig will fit the hand better than any Glock.

Glock has a more simple design. I think it is easier to learn to operate a Glock than a Sig, but a Sig isn't "difficult" to learn by any means.

Once I learned to master the DA to SA transition on a Sig, I was good to go. It didn't take long.

On a Sig, I think the following is very important: When you practice with it, get into a habit of ALWAYS taking the first shot DA. It is easy when at the range to insert a mag, rack the slide and start shooting from the SA trigger pull. You really should decock the hammer after loading the chamber. This allows you to get into the habit of always taking the first shot DA, just like you would if you had to take a first shot after drawing from a holster.

The upside to a Glock is that every trigger pull is exactly the same. Downside is no "second strike" capability like the Sig has if the round doesn't go bang the first time you pull the trigger. On a Sig, you can just try pulling the trigger again in DA mode. On a Glock, you must rack the slide to reset the striker.

Last edited:

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I have a Kel-Tec P11 I would be willing to sell.

I think $500 would be an excellent price!

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    Welcome to the forum! I looked up the new prices for both guns on buds gun shop to give me a starting price of what they are new; the Glock 26 starts out at $499 new so anything less than that but I doubt you will find any less than $400 on a Glock. Some people think they are made of gold.

The 226 is pricey in my opinion and starts out new at $670 so anything less than that. I personally wouldn't pay more than $575 for a used 226 though. Hope this helps and good luck on your search for your new pistol!!

Last edited:

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    Good luck finding a $400 used Glock. I'm not saying it can't happen but most people seem to think a used Glock is worth more than a brand new, in box Glock.

:laugh::laugh: Good post. Actually this might be true. It broke my achie breakie heart to sell a couple of my GLKS. Seriously though, take a look at the smaller less money 9mm's. Ruger LC9,DB9,PF9,P11, theres a few more but thats a start. They might be what your lookin for. :dunno:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Good luck finding a $400 used Glock. I'm not saying it can't happen but most people seem to think a used Glock is worth more than a brand new, in box Glock.
    I haven't paid over $400 for a USED pistol in my collection yet.....I've got several Glocks, Sigs, Kahrs, Berettas.....................deals are always out there if you're patient and keep your eyes open regularly.....I build my collection on deals.....I'm cheap like that and I closely monitor auction sites, local stores, and online classifieds daily

Top Bottom