• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Check recalls for engine. See if your vin number is part of it.
    He already said its a known issue but he's ineligible for any possible recalls due to mileage. Apparently its a known issue that they would only fix if if failed sooner. (at least that is what I gleaned from his story)

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    You bought a KIA a decade ago...I think you got your money out of it. Like they say in the Army "Run her till she blows".

Pour some stuff in as others have suggested and see what happens. Good luck.

If unwilling to do that it's time for another vehicle.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Another thing I wonder why someone couldn't just drop the pan and put in a new bearing set, there's no major damage to the engine yet except the clicking noise whatever it is.
    I like this option, as long as the labor is cheap enough and you can trust.
    I don't know how limited you are. But with your background, you might consider tackling this as a "project".
    At this point it seems there's little interest anywhere in repairing or buying this vehicle.
    If junking it out appears to be the best option, I'd say give the DIY repair a shot.

Option 2, for me would be dose that crank case with the slipperiest (maybe bump up in weight), oil you can get.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Defective rod bearings for one.
    There is a cup over the valve stem/spring assembly that the cam pushes on and there is no adjustment, only changing the cups as I understand it.

I'm really not sure I want to tackle it if KIA doesn't want to.

Another thing, since the latest computer update the engine will shut down and you have to wait a few minutes before it will restart if it detects rod noise or something like that.
    I have a question sir, how long do you think the engine should last in a vehicle in that price range?

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Update. I went to a salvage yard they said they'd give me $500 on the Kia and $300 on my 02 Dodge caravan with 192,000 mi on it so that's one option.

I'm turning 81 years old and I don't bend like I used to, it's really hard to get up and down off the floor so I dread trying to change the bearings myself and that's the only economical way I could get it done in the Kia.

My wife can't drive anymore so we don't really need the Kia or anything else so it's looking like we'd be better off just getting rid of them all together.
    Yeah we've stretched about all the life out of them we can get it's just that the body and the rest of the cars are in usable shape except for the engines.

In my younger days I would have just yanked the engines out and fixed it myself and put them back together, but those days are over now.
    Thanks for listening.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Sorry about your mobility issues. I'm way behind at a spry 61.
    It sucks not going & doing like I used to, but living life at a slower pace has it's advantages.
    I'm still push mowing my hilly 1/2 acre. I even dropped the self-propelled for simply pushing it.
    No, you young whipper snappers, I don't mean "reel mowing". I'm not man enough for that.

At this point, the $500 is sounding pretty reasonable.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Pour some motor honey in it to stop the ticking and sell it for $2500 to a Democrat.

5889ce2800205cdb716d5c46f01daab2.gif

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    OP I still encourage you to do some web searching on other forums. Your old enough to remember using STP, recycled oil in bottles at the gas station, bananas, and using heavier weight oil to reduce smoking on old worn out engines. For all I know some people might be having success mixing in 50wt synthetic, moly, or even gear oil in the crankcase to get some more life out of it.

Edit: I would use the word Forum in your search words.

Top Bottom