• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    A few days ago I mentioned that I was going to post my Uncle Bill's medals from WWII.

He worked in many places and did things that remained under the War secrets Act in Britain until the day he died. Below the picture is a break down of the medals by his son (my cousin) Colin.

I would like to invite others to share the medals of family or friends from days gone by. Not for Glorifying war for there is no glory in it but to recognize those who stood in places where many feared to tread, who keep us and have kept us safe, so that we may always remember their sacrifice and the risks they took so that we might have place like this forum where we may freely express, share and even debate those things we share in common and those things we differ on. It is their effort I wish to glory in. I miss my Uncle Bill he was a great man, he has my undying respect and thanks.

Top row:1939-45 Star, Africa Star, Italian Star, The defense Medal, 1939 - 45 Medal, combatants medal of the Federation of combatant allies in Europe , Medal of Europe.(the last 2 were awarded by an organization rather than a country).

Lower row: Somme, Aisne , Marne Medals (awarded by French gov.), Cross of the republic of Poland, Cross of August Zanussi (awarded by the polish gov. In exile, until Poland became free at which time officially recognized by the polish gov.), Crois de Guerre (awarded by French gov.

My Dad was also put forward for for but declined the award and title of "Knight of the order of St John of Jerusalem" I don't know why he declined it except that as a charity members were expected to financially support the charitable work of the order, or him being agnostic may be he was not prepared to be liked to a catholic order.

Have a good Christmas and a peaceful New Year

Colin, Julie, Matthew and Thomas

ejm874

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NWI/Indy
    Thanks for posting, that's a great collection. My grandfather served in WWII as well, but to his dying day would never talk about it with anyone. He kept a chest of "memorabilia" from the war in the closet, but he would never open it. He used to say that he was proud to have served his country and was at peace with what he did, but he didn't want to relive it.

It's been over 7 years since he passed away, and that chest sits, still unopened, in my grandmother's closet. We all know how he felt about that chest and whatever is inside, so out of respect for him and his wishes it sits, untouched. We all show our gratitude, love, and respect to our Veterans in different ways, and that is just one way we've shown it to Grandad.

To all those who serve and have served - thank you. You have my utmost gratitude and respect. Your sacrifices have made this country what it is, a place that embraces freedom and encourages the free exchange of ideas and opinions. We as Americans owe it to our country, our Veterans, and ourselves to fight for and uphold these freedoms in any way we can.

:patriot:

My prayers and best wishes to each of you as we approach the holidays,

E

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    My grandpa always claimed he was a cook that never left stateside but he brought back a Nazi tank officer's Browning Hi Power 9mm with the holster with dude's name in it. It is a pretty little relic.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    My grandfather served in the navy in WWII. I was too young to ask him about it, but found his dogtags and picture of him and my grandma a few months ago.

Neat connection to a man I didn't know well enough.

Edit: Combatants medal of the Federation of combatant allies in Europe remind anyone else of our state flag...

Top Bottom