• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Couple weeks ago a friend is working at best buy, a state officer comes inside her job and tells her hebwas running plates in the parking lot and noticed she had a suspended license and figured he let her know and left it at that. (I made a separate thread about this then) well now today the same officer came in off duty and gave her a ticket for driving without a license. Told her he knows she drove it home that day and knows she drove in today. Then he left. Please discuss.

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    You have no reasonable expectation of privacy when in public.

The leo is within the law.

The leo is just trying to keep you safe...and he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

If you aren't doing anything wrong then you don't have anything to worry about.

Oh yeah, we're going to need some more of your property to pay for more protection.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Well the whole check your plates while your in the parking lot has been ruled legit. My concern now is dishing out a ticket/summons to court in plain clothes off duty for something you "think" happened weeks ago and have no proof of

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    She might have had someone else drive her to work and then walk elsewhere for reasons. Just because her car is in the parking lot of her place of employment does not mean that she drove it there. Habeas corpus. Where's the proof of the violation?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    well now today the same officer came in off duty and gave her a ticket for driving without a license

1. Is your friend hot? If she is hot, this might be a set phasers to creepy moment.

2. Sounds like a defensible case. No evidence of operation.

3. She needs to speak with an attorney.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Better make sure there is no parking lot videotape of her driving up and getting out of the car. Also, how do you know that he did not observe the same? You say he says he did.

You guys are alluding to stalking, but plenty of cops work security during Christmas in malls. Police Officers are never off duty unless they choose to be. They get to choose when with family.

Has she been driving while suspended? That is wrong. She knows that, right? And that her insurance Co. will usually deny a claim if she has an accident if DWS?

She was warned. Nice of him to not impound the car.

Last edited:

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    Better make sure there is no parking lot videotape of her driving up and getting out of the car. Also, how do you know that he did not observe the same? You say he says he did.

You guys are alluding to stalking, but plenty of cops work security during Christmas in malls. Police Officers are never off duty unless they choose to be. They get to choose when with family.

Has she been driving while suspended? That is wrong. She knows that, right? And that her insurance Co. will usually deny a claim if she has an accident if DWS?

She was warned. Nice of him to not impound the car.

See!

The man in blue is a friend to you....not a creepy stalker.

This one was even nice enough that he did not impound her property after going the extra mile to make sure your friend is safe.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lest anyone get their proverbial panties in a bunch I would just like to point out that my previous post was sarcasm. I have no way of knowing if he is stalking her or not.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It does appear so
    It does seem that he may have an obsession with following her activities. He may be making her his little pet project until she complies and puts her driving privileges back in order.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Some guys in the LE calling do not have a life and live to ticket anyone and everyone. They are usually new at the job and tend to be that way for about two to three years or so on average. This sounds like a newer guy to me.

As for what the LEO did I guess the real question is did the person in fact drive the vehicle to work. We all know that she did. Is she going to lie under oath that she didn't drive if she in fact did? The LEO is allowed to run the plate for any reason or no reason. He is also well within his duties to warn the owner of the vehicle of her status. He is also allowed to ticket the driver/owner while in plain clothes. He did not conduct a traffic stop on her. Weird? Yea kinda. When the rubber hits the road it will be whether the judge believes the officer or the suspended female whose vehicle was sitting in the parking lot of her work. Now who is going to be most believable?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ...it will be whether the judge believes the officer or the suspended female whose vehicle was sitting in the parking lot of her work. Now who is going to be most believable?

This has always been the problem I've seen, the presumption of truth because of one's job, because in theory, the officer has nothing to gain or lose, either way, while it's to the non-LEO's benefit to tell a falsehood if it gets them out of trouble. In a word, "BULL". We all know that if, as it seems to some including me, this officer has targeted her, it is to his advantage for whatever reason it is in his head to do whatever he's done.

The simple fact is that unless there is proof that she did drive it on the public roads, she doesn't have to perjure herself. All she has to do is plead the Fifth. It's not up to her to prove her innocence, it's up to him to prove her guilt. Now...

Is it really worth it to him to expend all the effort and resources to do that for a DWS from a couple weeks earlier, and if so, why? This is a case, to me, of, "Don't you have better things to do than harass this one citizen who wanted to do Christmas for people, and may have been waiting only for a paycheck and a day off to go pay Caesar what is Caesar's?

Blessings,
    Bill

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Did this really happen, or is this a "what if" story? IANAL, but it would seem that this could very easily be beaten in court. Sure we all know that she drove the car, but in court, the officer would be required to state when, at what time, and what direction. And being that she is the defendant, she doesn't even have to lie.... because she doesn't have to testify.... ya know 5th Amendment - self incrimination - blah, blah, blah. The officer would look like an idiot.

Top Bottom