• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    I am hoping to pick up an upper at Model 1 sales at the 1500. I am looking to get a flattop 20" Stainless with 1x9 twist. I would like to have an accurate rifle so that I shot some low scale weekend high power matches I could at least have fun and maybe hold my own.

questions:
    Quality of Model1sales stuff?
    5.56 or 223?
    reloading - are their 5.56 dies?
    Chrome or standard bolt and carrier?

What else do I need to be thinking about.

glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    more info - still would like some input please

Was talking to someone tonigh at Fall Creek Valley who seemed to know what he was talking about about suggested 1X8 twist for 72 grain bullet. Forgot to ask him .223 or 5.56. He said the 20" would be good out to 500 yards and maybe 700 yards but at 1000 yards the 20" would be losing the group and should get a 24". I think 500 yards will be plenty for me so sticking with 20". I wish I would have grabbed his name.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    20" is fine IMO
    5.56 so you can shoot both, or Wylde chambering
    1/9 can stabilize lighter bullets, 1/8 heavier, 1/7 heaviest. I'm not an expert on this stuff at all, so IDK what you should get twist rate wise.
    There are dies.
    I use regular BCGs, don't know about chromed though

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Re, barrel length: If you are shooting in a High Power match and you want to stay in the "service rifle" category, I don't believe the 24" barrel is an option. Unless you are a serious marksman with big time skills and money, I think you probably want to stay in "service rifle" and go with the 20" barrel.

The standard National Match course is 200, 400, and 5 or 600 yards. 1000 yards isn't usually a part of the standard NM shoot. A lot of high power shoots are on reduced yardage courses, and just use smaller targets for sitting and prone. Either way, you are right not to design your rifle around 1000 yard shooting.

I've never seen the option of buying 5.56 dies. I use a Dillon .223 sizing die for my competition AR-15. It has an Olympic "stainless ultra match" barrel which are chambered for .223
    I don't know if this is always true, but I seem to see more combat oriented rifles designated as 5.56 and rifles geared to competition in .223

1x7 or 1x8 is good for the heavier bullets. If it is an option I would consider 1x8, which does great with both 69 grain and 75 grain bullets. These two bullet weights should serve you well for the standard NM shoot.
    I do hear most folks with 1x9s say they do well with the 69 grainers. Some will work well with 75gr, others less so.

If you want to shoot in competition, you should certainly look for NM sights - which adjust in 1/4 moa increments. Sometimes they also have a thinner front sight post.

glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    Wylde chambering

So is there any cons to the Wylde chambering if I can get it? Is it as accurate at the 223 chamber?

Top Bottom