• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    I just recently started competing in IDPA, and had attended as a observer three previous matches at the rifle club I belong to. My 11 year old son accompanied me on all three of three outings as well as to my first match. He now wants to compete as well. He has shot my 9mm and my 40s in the past and no surprise preferred the 9mm. There are also young kids his age competing in our chapter so his age is not a issue.

I am trying to get him into the sport as reasonably inexpensive as I can and as a back up plan incase he looses interest I wish to buy him his own 9mm, as I can always use another 9mm VS a .380 which I have zero use for. Except for my M&P Pro 9 which I bought specifically for use in IDPA , all of my other FS HGs that I own either have to much recoil or are to big for his hands. My MP with the small insert fits his hands great, but then I would have to constantly change grip insets every match. So I would like to buy him his own FS 9mm.

Now for my actual question. Although I am a knowledgeable reloader with over 30+ years experience, I have only just begun reloading for 9mm and have never had any reason in the past to even consider reduced or minimum loads for my HGs. Has anyone here ever reloaded either minimum reloads or even smaller reduced loads in 9mm for use by a young shooter or any person who is less tolerant of recoil. Or does anyone reading this think a minimum reload in 9mm would be significantly reduced in recoil as compared to a standard factory OTC loading.

I plan on going through my reloading manuals and the weakest 9mm load listed, reload a few and have him try them and see if that works. but I would like to have a back up reduced load available to me if they exist.

Thanks,

Art.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    My son shoots IDPA / action / steel and so on. I put him in a class at the Atlanta CC with Mongo who is a member here a few years ago. ( he has some brass in the classifieds ) it was a day well spent for my kid. He shoots with either a 226 or a 228 Sig. What I never did was lighten up with his loads. I started him shooting 9mm with 115 pulled ball bullets. Because I have a bazillion of them and I thought, HA this is cheap shooting with the kid.
    The problem he had was not being able to reliably knock down tall steel targets with 115 grn bullet.
    I bumped him to 147 grn cast bullets and it not only was more comfortable for him to shoot they are more reliable in knocking down the steel he was having problems.
    I believe once you start lightening his ammo, he will start having reliability issues with his pistol and problems dropping heavy targets.
    Don't underestimate him. Let him shoot the same ammo that you shoot.
    Just go shoot, don't over think it..
    Have fun..

Does he help you load ??
    My son didn't cast at eleven, but he dam sure knew how to operate a Saeco lube sizer, Dillon swedged, Rockchucker sizing and forming brass and a host of other equipment in the loading room.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    I actually do plan on letting him try my M&P with standard 119 FMJs, but I felt I should have a back up plan/load in place just incase. Yes both my boys help me reload.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    That's awesome. I have a video somewhere that has my son shooting the same steel target like 30 + times. It was agonizing even for the other Shooters to watch. He ended up being one round short of finishing that stage.
    The RO yelled BANG when he realized the kid had no more rounds to shoot.
    While picking up his Mags he found one he changed out after the steel problem that still had 3 or 4 rd's left in it. Later he said dad I lost count and I thought I'll start fresh while moving to the next stage.
    He had crocodile tears when he turned and looked at me.. Lots of other Shooters consoled him that afternoon by telling him when it happened to them.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    FWIW, I was planning the same for my 11 year old. I was starting with 4.4gr of Autocomp under a 115gn RN from Xtreme. It was a soft shooter but reliability was an issue-FTE. We were using a P99c. He wants to use a P30SK. We are going to work up loads starting at 4.5gr of Autocomp this weekend. We are not knocking over steel 'yet'. Just trying to get reliability. May try some W231.

Edit- +1 for Mongo and his Brass. Pick up 5k if you can.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You could look for a happy median for reliability/low recoil. Buy some 9mm fmj from freedom munitions. Thier stuff is pretty weak in my experience but still cycles reliably in all my pistols including my m&p pro.

coban

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    SW Indiana
    I would look at a 147 grain bullet loaded with a fast powder. I shoot a lot of 147gr plated bullets loaded with 3.3 grains of titegroup. Don't know about power factor since I don't shoot idpa but it is a very soft recoiling load.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another vote for Coban's idea. I doubt anyone is going to care about (or even notice) power factor for him at that age. (unless he starts cleaning everyone else's clocks at the matches) Get him out there and shooting and having fun, even if it bends the rules a little. As he gets better (and older/stronger), step his loads up until he is shooting standard stuff.

As an IDPA shooter, I wouldnt even bat an eye if a kid just getting into it even broke the rules by using a full size .380 so long as it was safe if it meant he was better and having fun. "Training wheels" of sorts.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Thanks to all for the help and load suggestions will load up some 147 & 3.3grns of TG, as soon as I get some 147 grnrs. Wont be able to do so for a while as my son is entering into a two week period of commitments of both school and sports that will leave him little time for anything else. Will let you guys know how the reduced loads work out for him.

Again thanks a great deal for the help.
    Art.

DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Yes on the 147 at 3.3-3.4 ,shoot them a lot nice an soft also have shoot some 115 and 124 at 3.8 titegroup my m&p has no problems with them

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Depending on barrel length, you should meet the power factor requirements. On a 5" gun, with 147gr RN Berry's, WSP, 1.150 OAL these were my power factors.
    3.2gr Titegroup = 130.4 PF
    3.4gr Titegroup = 135.4 PF

I wouldn't use sub minor loads since that will just lead to issues on steel. You may buy a bit lighter recoil spring to ensure the slide cycles and locks back reliably with the softer load. Heavy bullets tend to push more instead of the snap. Just because its tailored to be soft shooting doesn't mean it's a "light" load. For reference, out of the same gun, Federal bulk pack 115gr ran at 128.0 PF and did not knock steel down as well. But shooting the ammo side by side, the 147gr w/ 3.2gr Titegroup feels softer.

Top Bottom