Help..Who is Right Online Gun Purchase ffl?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csnoski

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just won an auction on auctionarms...It's a private party who has asked me to send a postal money order with a copy of from my ffl . My ffl here in the Fort says he will fax his once the seller's sends theirs. It sounds like show me yours and I'll show you mine. Who should strip first?

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You FFL Holder needs to know where to send his license to. If your FFL has the Fax number he should go ahead and sent his. It will have all the information for the Seller to do his job. The Seller will likely just put a copy of his in the box. At least that is how I have seen it done. Some FFL Holders do not like to accept firearms from a non FFL person. I'm not sure what the law says however.

Hope this helps.

csnoski

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Figures a VN Vet would be the first and only person to answer my question!!! You are probably MY AGE!!! Thanks. I am not ready to diss "mY" FFL for his 'show me yours first' attitiude on the receiving end, tho I have googled the subject enough to see that my seller's request wasn't really unreasonable. As a buyer the ffl I picked insists on being contacted first by seller before he reciprocates. As this is only my 2nd transaction ever (and both being in last wk) am wondering if I picked the wrong guy in Fort Wayne...not like there is not a dozen or so tothers!!! Would like to know if I have made a bad choice before I go much further.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have normally had to send an FFL to the sellers FFL so that they knew where, and that it was to a current FFL, to send the item. They usually send a copy of their FFL with the item.

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    What is all this talk of the seller's FFL holder? There is no federal requirement that the seller use an FFL holder in the transaction. The only requirement is that the seller send the firearm to the buyer's FFL holder.

The FFL holder I use for interstate purchases is happy to fax a copy of his license whenever I call him and ask him to do so. He has also given me a copy of it so that I can send it myself if that is acceptable to the seller.

I'd try to find a more reasonable FFL holder in Ft. Wayne.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    What is all this talk of the seller's FFL holder? There is no federal requirement that the seller use an FFL holder in the transaction. The only requirement is that the seller send the firearm to the buyer's FFL holder.
    I know that many of the FFLs who do transfers will NOT do a transfer over the internet UNLESS it is shipped FROM an FFL. It is not an uncommon practice. All it means is that the local FFL requires some certainty and yes it is more than the law requires.

I've also found a few FFLs who will do transfers that require the gun be shipped FROM an FFL if the buyer is a stranger. But if the buyer is a regular customer, someone they know from many transactions, the same FFL will allow inbound shipments from a non-FFL. So it could just be that people need to build up a better relationship with their local dealer. :twocents:

Top Bottom