• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bjosephback

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Indy
    I purchased a used Marlin 60, .22LR and after about 30 or so rounds, it kept on FTE. It has a tube magazine that holds 18 rounds and it was happening sometimes on the first or second shot, sometimes later in the magazine. It was a cheap gun, but I really enjoy the cheap ammunition. Any suggestions?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Have you cleaned it?

My wife's Model 60, btw, only holds 14 Long Rifle rounds. My older one only held 15. Maybe some other models held more? Or are you overloading it? Should only load it up to the little bullet shaped hole in the mag tube.

Just a couple ideas.

bjosephback

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Indy
    imgres
    Have you cleaned it?

My wife's Model 60, btw, only holds 14 Long Rifle rounds. My older one only held 15. Maybe some other models held more? Or are you overloading it? Should only load it up to the little bullet shaped hole in the mag tube.

Just a couple ideas.

I have an aftermarket stock on it, maybe thats the problem. I did clean it, so maybe I just need to lube it up around the chamber a little more?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Needs a good old scrubbung with break free or such.

Lots of FTE erros are just dirty guns.

YOu have one of the older guns with 24 inch barrel thus the 18 rounds. It was must likely stored with some rem oil or other machine oil and the oils has broken down and mixed with the newly deposited powder residue and is causing errors.

If you own a model 60 the following power point assembly presentation is a most have download.
    Marlin 60 Action assy a.pps - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

YOu just need a power point viewer.

Clean it up get a 50 pack of CCI ammo ( my test bed ammo in a 22) and shot it again. It could be a recoil buffer but I don't think so.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Clean Clean Clean Clean it!!!!!!!!!! then lube it It'll be ok!

:+1: I have a Model 60 that I have had for over 35 yrs. Mine like yours holds 18 rds. Give it a good cleaning, lube it up and try again. If you still have ftfs try a different brand of ammo. If yours shoots like mine you will be very happy with it.

bjosephback

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Indy
    :+1: I have a Model 60 that I have had for over 35 yrs. Mine like yours holds 18 rds. Give it a good cleaning, lube it up and try again. If you still have ftfs try a different brand of ammo. If yours shoots like mine you will be very happy with it.

Clean Clean Clean Clean it!!!!!!!!!! then lube it It'll be ok!

I will clean and lube the heck out of it. THank you for the hope!

nova512

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    west side of indy
    i have a marlin 99c an older version of the 60,15rds is all i would put in but it sounds like you need to clean it very bad,mine did the same thing ,when i broke it down and really cleaned the crap out of it ,it stopped.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Clean the face of the barrel where the bolt contacts, there are two small grooves that the extractors fit into when closed, some I have worked on for people were so full they didn't know the grooves were there

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Needs a good old scrubbung with break free or such.

Lots of FTE erros are just dirty guns.

YOu have one of the older guns with 24 inch barrel thus the 18 rounds. It was must likely stored with some rem oil or other machine oil and the oils has broken down and mixed with the newly deposited powder residue and is causing errors.

If you own a model 60 the following power point assembly presentation is a most have download.
    Marlin 60 Action assy a.pps - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

YOu just need a power point viewer.

Clean it up get a 50 pack of CCI ammo ( my test bed ammo in a 22) and shot it again. It could be a recoil buffer but I don't think so.
    This is right on the round count and what to do. Round counts changed from 18 to 15 rounds in the early 80s.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Its a great gun. I have a model 60 from 1974 (yes, 18 rounds), and I almost got rid of it because of FTF/FTE problems as well as accuracy problems. I got it out one day last spring and decided to break it down as far as I could and see what was up. HOLY CRAP it was DIRTY!!! And no just a normal gun dirty, but grit and grim dirty. I pulled out all the internals, cleaned it up, polished the parts smooth, and cut the hammer spring and now I love shooting it.

So I guess what I'm saying is spend a little time with it broken down, check out rimfirecentral, and enjoy the great gun you have.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I think you should clean it really good....oh wait, looks like that's already the plan! :):

That helped fix my FTE/FTF issue as well.

A word of advice...be very careful putting the recoil spring back in. It can easily get kinked during installation and that can mean a non-functioning gun as well.

Good luck, and let us know the results!

bjosephback

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Indy
    I was enjoying it for the first 2 magazines, no proplem. Then the next 3 magazines, FTE every 2-3 shots. I will clean it this week and let you know how it turns out.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside

I've had my 18 rd one for over 35 yrs. also. My favorite .22 auto rifle. Like has been said clean and lube, change ammo. Mine loves the Federal Bulk pack copper washed, though it eats up pretty much whatever I feed it without a problem.

bjosephback

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Indy
    I've had my 18 rd one for over 35 yrs. also. My favorite .22 auto rifle. Like has been said clean and lube, change ammo. Mine loves the Federal Bulk pack copper washed, though it eats up pretty much whatever I feed it without a problem.

I thought that might be the problem too; I bought the cheapo remington ammo from Wallyworld and didn't know if it was just that....the cheap ammo.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Just a last thought or 3 (after saying clean it :+1:) ...

I have a Marlin 989-M2 ... same action but w/ a removable box magazine and a short barrel from the 70's. It went YEARS without ever having an FTF (Failure to Feed) or FTE or without being cleaned in any way, shape or form.

Then I tried to use some sub-sonic rounds and got FTF's all over the place. 1 good cleaning, and poof problem solved. mostly. And FRESH ammo (new) is better than old ... how do I know? because I have several BRICKS (500 rnds) of old ammo and get more FTF and FTE with older ammo ...

I've found the guilded (copper plated) rounds feed better (and are cleaner) than most of the lead stuff.
    Also - stick w/ the normal high speed stuff - especially since it is older. It pre-dates the Hyper Velocity rounds and they will work but can also cause FTF/FTE issues. (at least for me) ... (and I'll add that mine likes the HP remington golden bullets in bulk)

Lastly - Enjoy ... I almost never go to the range with this and shoot LESS than a Brick. It's no tack driver ... but its hard to beat on fun factor. :ar15:

"Brother" Bill

Top Bottom