• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    I want to start trapping this year. what do i need to know and what do i need to get i went to gander mountain today and bought 2 coyote foot traps. I know nothing about it so when you explain somthing to me make sure you break it down so i can understand it.
    thanks

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but isn't trapping somewhat cruel? I'm not against hunting, I'm just curious if others feel the same way.

Sorry for the :hijack:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I want to start trapping this year. what do i need to know and what do i need to get i went to gander mountain today and bought 2 coyote foot traps. I know nothing about it so when you explain somthing to me make sure you break it down so i can understand it.
    thanks

There was your first mistake, Take all that equipt back and get your money back. Then drive down to Hoosier Trapper Supply they will totally hook you up with not only supplies, but all the knowledge you could ever want. Unfortunately you missed the annual trappers convention they have there. Its a blast and lots of good clinics.

I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but isn't trapping somewhat cruel? I'm not against hunting, I'm just curious if others feel the same way.

Sorry for the :hijack:

Good Question. No most traps don't kill the animal, they just hold it until you come back to the trap. And by Indiana law all traps must be checked every 24hrs. And traps like this only hold the animal and not crush its paw.

trapmj800.jpg

medic67

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Columbus IN
    thanks
    You should really check out Hoosier Trapper Supply, Charlie will be a big help with anything that you need or want. Hoosier Trapper Supply > Home
    It is located east of Greenwood, so it is handy.

You should get a couple of books or dvds on the type of trapping that you want to do. Study up on the subject. The Fur Fish and Game dvds are very instructional and are easy to learn from.

Done right and ethically trapping is a well established means of wildlife control. In many cases the only means for effective control.
    Management of fur species is essential to healthy populations just as hunting is for game species.
    Modern trapping methods and equipment are far superior to the ones of the past.

Here is some info on the subject of why management of wildlife is needed.
    Page 1 Mother Nature
    Page 2 Mother Nature
    Page 3 Mother Nature
    Page 4 Mother Nature

Last edited:

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I attended Hoosier trappers convention this year and learned a lot. I would definitely go to Charlie for your traps I believe his 1.75's are $7.35 a piece so that will help you compare prices.

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    The Masheck's at Hoosier Trapper Supply will provide better products as mentioned above. The coyote is a tough animal so you must use proper traps and staking methods. I use cable stakes and they hold great and are light. If your serious, look at the MB 650. There are a few others that compare, but it is a high quality, durable trap. MN Trapline Products Online

Cry once and get good quality. Go to Trapperman.com for some good info (after you sort through the usual forum BS) from some the top trappers in the nation. Good luck, nothing like turning the corner and seeing an animal bouncing in your trap.

Top Bottom