• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    couple of cats always seemed to work for me....
    +1 We locked one of the yard cats in the garage with a box of kitty litter and big bowl of water for 3 days. I think they were more mice than rats... in any event the only thing alive in there was the cat. The cats also kill anything that wanders into the yard too. a couple cats running the alley around here is great pest control.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    Little bowl of anti freeze if there are no other animals around. Green, not the red.
    But the bait blocks are good also. They take it back to the nest and feed with the others there.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    if you have a real problem cats , shooting, or other one at a time method will not keep the population in check...

remove the dog & get several bait blocks from a farm store...
    the bait will be slow acting & they will take it and feed the young..

use plenty of it at once so they do not under dose and build resistance to it...

yes, if they die in the walls & craw space you will have a stench for a few days.. but if you have that many rats nesting in the walls, you need to kill them off anyway...

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    How are they getting in the house?

I know rats are sneaky but how are they getting into the house? You need to first close the entrances and keep them out. I had citrus rats outside when I lived in So Florida and just bought the large rat traps that snap and caught them all the time using cheese or peanut butter. You know when you get them and they will not end up rotting in your walls. :twocents:

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    I would say a blow gun and a 30 pack of your favorite beer if you're dead set on shooting them or just lonely. Blow guns are great indoor fun, get a normal dartboard and practice up.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    if im going to shoot them what would be the best choice of weapon.
    its in a neighbour hood so i can't make to much noise

shot shells in a 22 or 38, or a good pellet gun. You can legally get suppressed pellet guns with out paying that big tax bill I think.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    You need to first close the entrances and keep them out.

Most pest control people recomend against this. Once you know where they are, you lose that advantage if you make them find new places. Kill or trap them all and when they are gone then seal up all their entry places.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Are you guys seriously advocating shooting inside a dwelling??

If I was seeing rats you can bet your butt I'd shoot them inside. I wouldn't sleep in a house wondering if I was going to wake up with a rat on me, a couple bird shot marks on the wood work would seem like a whisper compared to what might happen if I woke up to a rat in the dark.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    The pest control link previously posted is excellant.

Here's how I built the PVC bait stations they mention. I've been using these for several years. Keep them and traps in all my out buildings and likely rodent infestations and so far it's seemed to work pretty well as a defensive perimeter. If I get one in a trap I know I need to give extra attention to that building until I get it "fixed".

I don't remember if I've mentioned this here but I just baited all the out buildings and made a couple of these so I took a pic for future illustrations.
    Cut your pvc pipe so a few of these poison Snickers bars fits in there and drill a hole through the pipe on each side. Leave enough empty pipe so the dogs tongue won't reach the poison.
    Pop in the poison and push a nail through the holes and bend it so none of your domestic animals can get the bait. The mice can get past the nail and feel right at home in there and eat until they are full.
    Toss one of these with several bars in each in each corner of your out buildings and you won't have a mouse problem. The pipe also keeps the bait dry and tasty so it doesn't get moldy and go to waste because they won't eat it.

aMousebaitproject21.jpg

Top Bottom