• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DestructionDan

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    IN KY
    I have had Taurus semi autos, no problems.
    But I have read way too many bad things about their wheelguns.
    I like the Charter as a SD gun. Won't take it to the range for target shooting.
    Now that I have some models to look for, i'll see what I like more.
    Thanks!

katfishinking

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    southwestern ind.
    I don't think you can beat a smith&wesson. you may pay a little more, but it will last more than your lifetime. my FIL, was a retired LEO. his service weapon? S&W, .357. he ran thousands of rounds through it. I have had it for about 6 yrs. now. I have only put 5 to 6oo rds. through it. it is buy far the most accurate handgun I have ever shot. it was bought new, by him, back in the early 70s. it may cost you a little more, but it will outlast the both of us. just my .02 cents.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Martin County
    I own 5 different Taurus revolvers, the newest being about 6 years old, the oldest more than 20 years.
    The oldest of my herd of Taurus's has taken more than a dozen deer over the past 8 or so years.
    I have sent literally thousands of rounds downrange, and quite a few into animals. I have not had the first failure issue with ANY of my Taurus revolvers.

If you're "staying away from Taurus" because of word of mouth, then you're missing out.

The bad-mouthing that Taurus receives is largely unwarranted as far as their revolvers go.

I really don't understand the hate for the Taurus revolvers. My 4" .357 Tracker has never failed and with the ribbed grip is comfortable to shoot. The only downside is the front blade sight that is painted a glossy bright orange. When the front sight is at a certain angle to the sun there will be a severe reflection of sunlight off the sight and into the shooter's eye. Perhaps that problem could be mitigated by rubbing the gloss off the paint?

LD36

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    I too don't understand the hate for Taurus. Too many people say they "heard" bad things about Taurus. Now I'm not saying they are perfect, no gun is, but they don't deserve the bad rap they get. I wouldn't hesitate to own another one.

bdickmeyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2012
    I would also recommend a Ruger GP100, especially if you plan on shooting a lot of full power loads at the range. The SP101 is also good, but is considerably lighter, so might not be as comfortable to put a lot of rounds through at one stretch. Of course with any 357 you have the option of using .38 special at the range.

I have a Ruger SP101 and it's fine on the range. I've never had discomfort when putting a bunch of rounds through it.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Of all of the various .38 Spl./.357 revolvers I've owned over the years my favorites are still my pair of Monson-made Dan Wesson M15-2s. I've owned one of them since 1975, run Lord only knows how many rounds through it and it's still going strong. Admittedly, the majority of those have been my standard general purpose reload of a 158 gr. LSWC over 5.0 gr. of Unique, but there have also been at least a couple of thousand full power factory and handloaded .357's in there, too.

Nothing's broken nor worn out and they're still the most versatile and consistently accurate of all of the revolvers I've ever owned in any caliber.

Even though their prices on the used market have been rising you should still be able to get hold of a very nice one for well under your $500 budget.

Chip

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I would say a used Colt (Trooper) or a S&W 28. Both should be able to found for around $500 in good condition. There value will likely never decrease and you would be unlikely to ever wear one out

Nim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2013
    Falls City Area / Clark County
    I chose my Rossi because it gives me the "pinkie" finger grip. I have smaller fingers and need that extra control unlike a lot of guns that have the shorter grip where your pinkie is not being used. With a 357, that kick can be pretty big.

I know it is a "branch" of Taurus but have never had trouble with it.

And only $300.

Top Bottom