Help me pick a scope... Ruger MkII Competition Target (slabside)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baglorious

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    NW IN
    Hello all. I shot my Christmas present to myself for the first time today... Ruger MkII Competition Target.

I am a fan.

I already have Volquartsen parts (sear, trigger, extractor), which I will get around to installing sooner or later.

I'm inclined to stick a scope on this... but can't decide on a red-dot, or a regular scope.

If I get a red dot, I want something small... 2moa, I think. However... I'm also thinking I'd like magnification, and I haven't seen any magnified red-dot scopes that seem appropriate for a pistol. (And I'm not spending more on the scope than the gun, heheh... so no ACOGs.)

The biggest debate is on "what I want the scope to do". I'd like to be able to put a 50ft slow-fire pistol target out there, and be able to attempt to hit the center... because I can actually see and put a bead on the center. I think a non-magnified red-dot scope will just have me generally aiming at the target... not necessarily able to focus on the center.

Ideally, I'd like something stainless, and I'd like to use the factory scope rings... which I THINK are 25mm.

Anyway, looking toward either a 2moa red-dot, or a regular scope.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Regular Pistol scope

If you decide to go with a scope check out the Simmons line of scopes. I have a 2x6 power on a slabside in stainless and it is a great scope

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    MarkII-2003.jpg

When I bought mine the ultra dots were out of stock

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Just a thought... if you're eventually looking to get involved with some sort of action shooting with your .22 (i.e. Steel Challenge), you'll have much better scores with the 1x magnification red-dot. You will not be able to shoot with both eyes open and pick up targets quickly with a scope that has magnification. That's not to say that scopes with magnification don't have their place.

Top Bottom