• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blainepoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    Hamiltonian
    While rescuing a dog from a shelter is a noble cause, your reason above is exactly why I won't do it...If it were just me, I would have no problem taking in a full grown alpha male, but I have a 4 year old son and I have no idea what a stray dog is capable of...If I train it from a puppy, I know exactly what he/she is capable of.

BTW, pits are fantastic dogs...The few pits I know all have competent owners and they are among the sweetest dogs I have ever encountered.:twocents:

Puppies come through the shelter all the time, but you may have to be patient to get a breed/mix you are looking for because they go a lot faster than older dogs.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    The longer hair is a bit of an issue sometimes, but I would also recommend you look into a Golden Retriever. Their temperament is second to none. Well behaved, intelligent, and great with children.

Well behaved and intelligent are not the terms that come to mind when describing a golden. Dumb as all hell and out of control are a whole lot closer too the truth, IMO.

Now granted, the behavior thing is usually the owners fault, but I've met more bad goldens then any other breeds combined.

They are good with kids though. :dunno:

ETA: Not bashing you if that's the type of dog you have, man. I've just had some real lousy experiences.

Last edited:

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    The best dog I ever had was a Norwegian Elkhound. He was fearless and loyal. No matter the task at hand as we worked the farm rather we were mending fences or cutting firewood, he was there watching over and guarding us as we worked. Whenever I walked or hunted he was right there next to me. He never made a sound, the only time he ever barked was when a stranger approached or when he had game at bay, other than that he was mute.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm leaning towards a boxer again, but looked real hard at an Australian cattle dog. I really want a dog that I can train to go with me on the farm, trucks, and different locations without much worry. So training will be important.

thanks

If you're not having any luck at the Humane Society, try rescue groups. Here's the link to Central Indiana Boxer Rescue.

Since your leaning towards a ACD (we have one that was dumped on the side of the road) he's a great lovable dog. You might consider a Border Collie, there are plenty of rescue BC's available.

Our oldest dog Ellie (10yo) is a BC that we got at the Morgan County Humane Soc., loyal, great dog to train because they are very intelligent, just a great dog to have. Would be great around farms and they love to be out and about with their Humans.

HiRoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Indianapolis East
    My advice is the shelter route as well, if you don't get in a rush and get to know some of the volunteers at your local you can get a top quality breed. I worked on a volunteer basis at the Humane Society on North Michigan Road for 2 years and saw some of the finest animals go thru, but with just warning, many are suffering from trauma and physical issues, so be sure of what you select.

If I were to purchase a dog, I would be in the market for one of these
    Cane Corso Association of America - AKC Parent Club of the Cane Corso

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    I have a pit/lab mix from the Humane Society. He's a great dog. The most vicious thing he's ever done is chew up a pair of new Oakley sunglasses when he was a puppy. Our vet says that the pits she deals with are great dogs. Of course the people who have pits to fight don't usually take them to the vet. They just have a bad rep due to horrible owners.

blainepoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    Hamiltonian
    Well behaved and intelligent are not the terms that come to mind when describing a golden. Dumb as all hell and out of control are a whole lot closer too the truth, IMO.

Now granted, the behavior thing is usually the owners fault, but I've met more bad goldens then any other breeds combined.

They are good with kids though. :dunno:

ETA: Not bashing you if that's the type of dog you have, man. I've just had some real lousy experiences.

It takes labs/goldens 3 or so years to 'calm down'. Ask me how I know: I have a half black lab/half golden that is almost 4....She's a bit neurotic, but I wouldn't trade her for the world...She is GREAT with the kids that's for sure. They are generally considered above-average when it comes to obedience and intelligence.

We also have a puggle we rescued - that is a breed you want if you prefer a clingy, disobedient, noisy, stubborn........:wallbash:

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    The best dog I ever had was a Norwegian Elkhound. He was fearless and loyal. No matter the task at hand as we worked the farm rather we were mending fences or cutting firewood, he was there watching over and guarding us as we worked. Whenever I walked or hunted he was right there next to me. He never made a sound, the only time he ever barked was when a stranger approached or when he had game at bay, other than that he was mute.

I have to agree with this, my last dog was a female Norwegian Elkhound I had for 14 years before she passed a couple years ago.

When she barked I learned to trust something was there. She was a constant staying close to me. When she was in the house, she would get up every 30 minutes or so and go to all the windows she could reach and look out them. Including the screen door in the summer. If she growled or barked I knew to get up and check out what she was telling me. Most times it was just a deer, coon or possum. Once in a while someone walking down our country road.

When my daughter was born, she took to that child like it was her own pup. Was always watching over her and never left her side. I was given an evil look more then once to correcting my own daughter. Heaven forbid that my daughter would cry, I really got the evil look then...LOL Even if I did not cause it, that dog seemed to blame me...LOL

fpdshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Fishers
    Get yourself a good rescue dog. We got our down south, as a pup. She was only about 3 mo old. I've trained her - or she has trained me, one of the two.

Figure out what you want, then call around. Most Humane Soc will have something that you want.

hardtrailz400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Batesvegas
    My buddy adopted a Boxer/Lab mix froma Lab rescue shelter and she is a great dog. Did great with the puppies I had for awhile is good with kids, sits before entering or exiting a dwelling. Listens well.

He gave 60 bucks at about 6 months old and she is about 1.5 yrs now and does lots of tricks.

I think the place was in Columbus. You may look at breed specific rescues for the mixed breeds they have. they are cheap.

PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    I would recomend a German Shepard. We had to put both of ours down 2yrs ago one due to cancer and the other for hip dysplasia. Our house felt empty and I was always paranoid about not having them around to watch over my 2 girls and our house . So this last year we went out and added 2 new GS pups and after all the headaches of potty training and the chewing the house/family seems to be returning to normal.

Top Bottom