• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stove

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am looking for a new dog. I had to put down my 10 year old boxer in the fall of 07. He was with me through college and was an indoor dog. I don't think I want another indoor dog. I live in the country, house is in a 20 acre field, with 1 acre of grass. I looked at the local humane society, but I am not going to adopt a stray that is pit or pit mixed and that is about all that was there. I should mention I have a 3 year old.

I'm leaning towards a boxer again, but looked real hard at an Australian cattle dog. I really want a dog that I can train to go with me on the farm, trucks, and different locations without much worry. So training will be important.

thanks

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I'll give a bump for my personal favorite, the German Shepherd. They're extremely intelligent and pretty easy to train, and protective. Mine is great with my kids (ages 4 and 9 months). Make sure you deal with a reputable breeder though. The biggest health concern is typically hip dysplasia. They're definitely bigger than a Boxer or Australian cattle dog though. Mine is somewhat on the large side: almost 25 inches at the shoulder and weighs 100 pounds - and it's a female.

Check the AKC website for information about specific breeds:
    American Kennel Club - Breeds

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Please, please, check out other humane societies! They are overwhelmed with the number of dogs being dropped off due to the declining housing situation in this country, and they aren't receiving donations like they used to for the same reason. So many people can't afford their pets any more. The only hope these animals have is us. If we don't save them, who will?

There are hundreds of thousands of beautiful, intelligent, affectionate animals desperate for homes. Why adopt from a breeder when there are so many facing death each and every day?

You want a companion... they need a home. I've done my part. Now it's your turn.

dog.gif

(Sally Struthers ain't got nuttin on me!)

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    +1 for Jenny..

We got our mutt at the Danville pound. Smartest most trainable dog I have ever owned..

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    I've owned purebreds and I've owned mutts. Quite honestly, I'd choose a mutt any day. They're extremely intelligent and they aren't nearly as prone to physical issues as the purebreds are (i.e. hip dysplasia). Not mention the fact that every one is unique.

You find yourself a lab german shephard mix and you've got yourself one fantastic dog my friend!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I own a Pembroke Welsch Corgi. She's my 2nd, the ex got the first one.... Sigh. They are great dogs, smart and loving as well. They are herders so sometimes they will nip at the ankles at running children trying to "herd" them where they want to go. They won't bite them but sorta nip at their ankles. I love mine. I got her from a breeder in Bloomington WAAYYYYYY BELOW what a pet shop was asking for one. My dog came with registration papers but since I want her just as a pet I never registered her. If you're ever near Broad Ripple I'd be happy to let you and your child see her. She does fine with my neices and nephews. My mom has a mutt that she got from the pound the day before it was to be put to sleep. That is probably the best dog I've ever seen. We all think that she, the dog not my mom!, knew that it was close to curtains for her. Follows my mom everywhere and stays right by her side! This is a terrible pic of my Corgi, but you get the idea.

IMG_7013.jpg

IMG%5D

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    If you're not having any luck at the Humane Society, try rescue groups. Here's the link to Central Indiana Boxer Rescue.
    Central Indiana Boxer Rescue
    There are also rescue groups throughout the state for most other breeds, easily found via Google.
    The best thing about going through rescue is that while the dogs are in their foster homes they are evaluated for temperament and demeanor.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Keep coat length/type in mind if you're going to have an "outside" dog.

Longer hair will be an absolute BEAR to keep the burrs / knots / tangles / crap out of...

shorter hair will be a little easier.

-J-

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    That's a good point - my FIL has a Shetland Sheepdog that is a great companion, but the hair would be a little much for an outdoor-only goggie..

Stove

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    great feedback. I'm in no rush, so I will keep checking the shelter. I was just turned off on my first trip. I really intended on rescuing so that will be my goal. One of my employees has a rescue and that is one loving, well behaved dog!

thanks

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I understand the Humane Society does good work but I refuse to donate to them in any way since they have taken anti hunting positions.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I have two dogs.
    A GSD that is the mean, loud protect the family and property dog.
    The other dog is a black lab pit cross. He has absolutely no concept of what a stranger is. He is well mannered, possibly smarter than I am.

Just don't believe all the crap about pits being evil dogs. A dog is what you train it to be.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    The ACD's are good dogs and the breed is new enough that they don't have a lot of the health problems other breeds do. They are easily trained and require little maintenance.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    I understand the Humane Society does good work but I refuse to donate to them in any way since they have taken anti hunting positions.

Really? I had no idea. Still though, it's not the animals' fault. I'm sure most of the dogs in there would LOVE to go hunting with you instead of being cooped up in a little cage, forced to lay in their own poo.
    poo.gif

Top Bottom