• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    been looking into watches some, i never wear one, so im looking for slim and lightweight, as i dont think id be comfotable with a big bulky thing........anyways, what watch or watches should i be looking at (i dont have specifics in mind so tell me what u like and why) and i am ALSO looking into an EDC flashlight that runs on AA batteries, i have a good light now, but id like to have one that runs on the more common AA batteries than the expensive 123's that mine currently uses.

to those who respond with interesting or helpful insight, Thank you.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    I have a klarus xt1a that i really like. Zebralight sc52 is an awesome little light also. Fenix makes a handful of single AA lights. Youtube has many videos on the operation of most of these lights. Goinggear has some good videos on youtube with many different brands of lights. Everybody has a personal favorite
    Now you just have to find yours

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I have a timex ironman watch that has been all over the world with me and never let me down. I've had it since September 2009 and it is still on the original battery. It is water resistant to 100m. It stays on me in the shower, in the pool, in the ocean, I even wore it scuba diving in Hawaii and it is fine.

for a AA light I'd try the streamlight pt2AA

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    My everyday watch is a Luminox 3051 Blackout, but I also wear a Traser Code Blue on a Zulu band every once in a while. As far as EDC light, I haven't found anything that has held up nearly as well as Surefire. It doesn't run on AA's, but my EB1 (non clicky switch) is the bees knees.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I got a Timex Expedition for father's day, it's been a pretty good watch. I don't shower in it or try to get it wet, as the watch is waterproof, I just worry that the band will crap out...and I've yet to find a replacement...

As far as flashlights go, I don't mind the 123 batteries, but I had a Rayovac AAA model I got from Walmart that wasn't too bad at 30 bucks. Stinks that my kiddo lost it when playing with it one time at grandma's.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Also, for my pen light, the little $3 rayovac single AAA one at walmart is pretty good. It's a tad too bright for neuro checks btw...

andfc

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Indianapolis
    My personal opinion is that stepping down to AA's or AAA's isn't that much of a difference in performance, and AAA lights are a lot smaller - like the size of a regular pen vs. almost the size of a 123 light, and generally cheaper for something decent. My non-CR123 is a Streamlight ProTacAAA Streamlight 88039 ProTAC 2AAA Battery Powered Tactical Penlight with White LED, Black - Amazon.com I got it for about $25 a few years ago. For what it is, I'm happy with it. It is perfect for everyday purposes, when you don't need a ton of lumens and you're not having to deal with impact/recoil - and you don't want to burn through your 2 hours of CR123 runtime for $5 a set.

I destroyed the $45 AA version, the ProTac2AA, taking Mindset Labs' Flashlight Combatives class - I wouldn't recommend it over the AAA, which is a lot cheaper and (subjectively in my own use) almost as bright. I know you're not looking for another light that takes CR123's, but I'd rather get a Surefire G2X Tactical for a few dollars more SureFire G2X Tactical Single-Output LED than get a AA light.

I've seen Fenix and big box lights fail under VERY light use, and I've had Streamlight fail in training, but last through a lot of constant carry and use. While I wouldn't rate them on par with Surefire or Elzetta, I'd pick Streamlight as my go-to cheap light that uses batteries I can buy at the gas station.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    For a light: I like the Fenix LD12 and LD22. Easy interface, plenty of light, good warranty, you can save 10% buying from us....

Fenix LD12 Gen 2

and

Fenix LD22 Gen 2

I'm not a fan of the Streamlights. They are always behind on LED technology. If you are going to spend $40-50 on a light, get something with the latest LED in it.

For the watch. I like my Bertucci. Made of titanium so it's light weight. It's made it through multiple backpacking trips and still ticks.

Bertucci Performance Field Watches

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I also love my military style bertucci Ti.

HDS systems EDC clicky is the best light you can carry. 200 tac or 120 edc high CRI depending on your taste. Get two rcr123 from AW and a box of surefire cr123 as backup. Production is coming back now that Henry has parts vendors again. Seriously, this is the best light ever. I've had the 120 in my pocket for over a year. 4 modes, customizable, all clicky - no grime and pocket lint in stupid rotating bezels.

Watch should be the smaller face black analog atomic solar gshock.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I got a Timex Expedition for father's day, it's been a pretty good watch. I don't shower in it or try to get it wet, as the watch is waterproof, I just worry that the band will crap out...and I've yet to find a replacement...

As far as flashlights go, I don't mind the 123 batteries, but I had a Rayovac AAA model I got from Walmart that wasn't too bad at 30 bucks. Stinks that my kiddo lost it when playing with it one time at grandma's.

I've been wearing a Timex Expedition since January every day including trips to a water park and sometimes in the shower to clean it off. The band has held up very well and no water intrusion whether hot or cold. Classy and comfortable for $40!

My wife carries a cheap Energizer brand "tactical" AA flashlight in her purse that seems alright but is very long. The bulb is bright and it lasts a long time on decent batteries. IMO if you want a daily use flashlight as a backup to your better (and brighter) flashlight just scope out a cheapo at Wally World and be done with it. Flashlights are miles ahead of where they were a decade ago.

LuckyLeftFoot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2013
    Indianapolis
    You can pick up a streamlight stylus pro for $22 on amazon. It takes 2 aaa batteries and pumps out close to 50 lumens. Their newer models are c4 cree, and they are about the size of a Sharpie. I love them for edc.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I carried a Streamlight 1AA for a while and it was alright except for the pocket clip. The clip was tacky and they design it to be removable for some reason. I sold that and bought a Surefire Backup but it uses a 123A battery.

So the Streamlight 1AA might be exactly what you're looking for if you don't want a pocket clip on it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom