• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    I was wondering if in all the combined knowledge of this site anyone would have some insight into how I would go about finding my father. I really don't want to ask my mother out of respect for her and I have tried Ancestry.com where I found the marriage certificate but there isnt any info on there besides names and location of license. Any info would be greatly appreciated.:)

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    I never met him and I dont know anything about him the biggest problem is his last name is Jones so it only about everyone on the planet. I am 27. I will check that link out when I get home from work.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    Well guys my search fu sucks I tried everything I know to do. I guess I will just leave it at that and wee if anything else comes up.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Maybe explain to an aunt or uncle (on your mom's side) that you are wondering about him but don't want to upset your mom. Maybe they can give you some info on him, or some of his relations.

wabash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    SouthWest Indiana
    look in the archives of the local newspaper where they were married. sometimes the marriage announcement has more info. like "John Smith, son of A. Smith and B. Smith, etc., is employed as a saleman at XYZ." also, check to see if there was an engagement announcement too. and a birth announcement for you.

if your mom grew up in another town, check that local newspaper, too.

Last edited:

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Have you ever talked to your mom about your dad? It is your right to find your dad and I do understand your feelings on not upsetting your mom.
    You should know that just in case you find him be prepared he may not want to be found so his reaction may not be a good one. I think you need to know this due to any medical issues that may arise in the future. You just never know. I agree with previous posts that you should try any of your dad's side of the family if you know any of them if not then explain to your mom that you need as much info from her and why . I am sure eventually she will come around and understand your feelings.
    Good luck. :D

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Go to the library in the town where they were married. As someone else suggested, looking at the newspapers, sometimes there is an index, are they online. Some of the library keep old phone books and city directories. This will get you where they were living, neighbors, etc. You might have to do some cold calling on strangers.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    I dont know anyone from my fathers side. I think I will just think about a nice way to ask my mother my grandmother wont talk about it and my mothers sister died when she was 16 so I really dont have much to go on. Thank you all for your input.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    IMO, if he gave a crap he would find you. I don't wanna be Debbie Downer, but my dad left when I was 3. As kids he would come around every year. He is a bank executive pulling mid-6figures, I paid for schooling myself. (he refused) This has left me a bit bitter, I refuse to communicate with him. Just sayin' maybe you are better off not knowing. Live your life sir.

Top Bottom